Author Topic: Brine - Life?  (Read 2128 times)

Zinger

Brine - Life?
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:54:40 AM »
How long does a salt brine last? I am asuming that it will remain good for a while if it is kept refrigerated. I used it for a Manchego about 10 days ago and I want to make another some time this week. Any thoughts?

wharris

Re: Brine - Life?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:59:36 AM »
I have wondered the same thing.

I think that from a sanitary position there is little concern for it going bad, but given  the amount of salt that is used by my cheese, I think my brine would need salt added after my cheese is removed.

I'm going to take measurements next week to look at the relevant amount of salt loss in my brine.

Alex

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:44:52 AM »
I keep my brine for weeks (refrigerated in the cave). Smell it, if you feel it unpleasent, make a new one.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:17:04 AM »
Brine can harbor all sorts of nasty spores, both pathogenic and quality destroying versions.  Brine can be kept indefinately if it is microfiltered, boiled and dosed with chlorine.  Otherwise I would suggest weekly filter/boil and remake monthly.

wharris

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 11:17:52 AM »
Really?
I would have assumed the high salinity of the brine would kill most beasties.

Salt is cheap,  I can make fresh brine every time if that is the case.

Zinger

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 03:21:23 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Wayne, that has been my past practice. I just got to thinking that it would be good to reuse it if possible. I'll probably continue to err on the side of safety.

Thanks all.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 06:59:44 PM »
Brine is a major source of listeria contamination in cheese plants.  So are floor drains, you have to be careful when spraying a plant down that you don't shoot hot water directly into drains, it will aerosloize the listeria and get it on everything.  most plants dump straight high chlor down the drains and have protective covers to prevent spraying directly in them.