Author Topic: California Mastitis Test  (Read 8167 times)

hplace

California Mastitis Test
« on: December 07, 2009, 05:17:16 AM »
Has anyone used the California Mastitis Test for checking somatic cell count in cow's milk? Is it easy to use and interpret the results? Here is a link to the test on Hamby Dairy Supply:

http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=397&cat=0&page=1

I don't have any evidence that SCC count in my cow is high, but I wouldn't mind confirming. Is there any other way to check SCC?

FRANCOIS

Re: California Mastitis Test
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:04:42 AM »
It is very easy to use and reasonably accurate for cows.  There are other tests out there but they are pricier.

Paul Hamby's a pretty good guy too, but I would think you could buy  a kit locally and save on shipping.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:52:48 AM »
The CMT kit will let you know if there is mastitis, but not the actual somatic cell count.  I have Dr. Naylor's Mastitis Indicators, which are cards with four sections.  You squirt milk from each quarter on a separate section and the color change indicates healthy or mastitic milk.  Here's a link to them:  http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=2&mscssid=P2ATRMXJT5R69PC3LP258WNV2WMQ1FNA  This was very helpful for me the one time that my cow got mastitis in one quarter.

Even simpler are the instructions I found on the Keeping a Family Cow forum, courtesy of member Midgimoo:

"Also, there's the simple home-made mastitis test.
Take equal parts Dawn dish soap and raw milk from a particular quarter and swirl (don't stir) them together in a bowl or dish....there shouldn't be any geling or thickening of the mix...if it gels or thickens then you have a bacteria problem."

Members there are very specific that it has to be Dawn - other types of dish soap must not work quite the same way.

hplace

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »
Ok - I was getting the info from wikipedia - it says that the test is an indicator of somatic cell count....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_mastitis_test

If this test does not provide SCC indication, is there a test I can do at home that does?

cath s

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 05:15:26 AM »
yes any pure type of soap will work..
tho, here in our commercial herd  we use any old dishwashing liquid and that works too.
dont even need a paddle - a cupped hand works rather well as well.

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 02:58:49 PM »
Is there a reason that you need to know the actual count of the somatic cells?  If so, you may be able to have your vet do such a check for you, but then you are back to pricey.

hplace

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 05:10:40 PM »
I don't need to know actual count - just need to know if it is getting above the threshold for making cheese, etc.

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »
So the question would be whether that threshold is the same level as what triggers the test to show positive for mastitis.  Sorry, I don't know enough to help you out on this one.

hplace

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:51 AM »
That's a good way of putting it. Thanks for you help anyway!