Author Topic: Cinnamon as a natural fungicide  (Read 10171 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Cinnamon as a natural fungicide
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:16:32 AM »
Orchid growers and many gardeners know that cinnamon is a great natural fungicide. Fantastic for example on young seedlings to prevent "damping off" disease. The spice is used in some cultures for preserving meat. The phenols inhibit the bacteria responsible for spoilage. Cinnamon was even used by the ancient Egyptians as an embalming agent. LOTS of references online.

So, I was thinking, why not use it on natural rind cheeses? I'm testing that right now. Did an Emmental on Friday, air dried it at 55F for 2 days and then dusted with a light coating of cinnamon. It will continue pre-aging at 55F for another 5 days and will then be moved to a 68F area for eye development for 3 weeks. That's when the cinnamon will be put to the test. I'm using Tim Smith's recipe and aging procedure.

I think this has really good possibilities.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Cinnamon as a natural fungicide
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 01:45:31 AM »
That would be especially good on that eggnog cheese!

cath s

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:58:30 AM »
now that sounds interesting...

await your progress..

Alex

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 09:46:11 AM »
Good point Sailor, I am considering that foe a next experiment with some natural rind cheese. It will be interresting how it effects the taste.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 11:07:56 AM »
I'm really interested to see what your results will be.  Please post a picture of what the cheese looks like when you have it coated.

When I got my bread machine this summer, I found cautions against using too much cinnamon in a loaf of bread because it can inhibit yeast growth, too.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 06:48:28 PM »
In the states I used to make a cinnamon rubbed rind cheese.  It did grow mold but only after a few weeks.  As I recall I would get the rind on then start rubbing with a hotdamn/cinnamon slurry.  Once the mold had established I don't think any amount of slurry rubbing made a difference.  As I recall blue mold liked it the best.  It was a very odd tasting cheese.  People either loved it or hated it, but it was good with a slice of hot apple pie.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:52:39 PM »
I intentionally let this dry for 2 days to start forming a rind. The idea was to keep the cinnamon limited to the surface. This was a VERY light "dusting" of cinnamon, not a rubbing into the rind like Francois described. The container that I use will put out a little puff cloud of cinnamon if gently squeezed. (That's how I dust my orchids). So there is very little cinnamon on the rind and I really don't think it will contribute to the flavor of the finished cheese. I plan on brushing it off after 3 weeks of eye formation and then vacuum bag.

Here are some pics.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 01:22:01 AM »
Sailor whenever you have flowers in your post I have a hard time finding the cheese! Very lovely flowers!

mightyjesse

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 05:55:16 AM »
I tried this same technique with a Gouda, and people loved it, but even that light dusting of cinnamon drastically changed the flavor profile.

It left a very non-specific fruity taste in the cheese that no one could place as cinnamon. And Francois is right about that blue mold. I intend to do another "dessert cheese" like this soon, only I think this time I'll do a cheddar.

~MJ

Majoofi

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 02:38:18 PM »
interesting idea. Turmeric is also a natural fungicide. which I just used to great effect to cure myself. never thought of using it on cheese. gives everything an amazing yellow color. must use gloves. learned that the hard way.

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 03:38:14 PM »
Turmeric is also an impressive anti-cancer agent..  Several of my patients who have had skin cancer take capsules of it on a daily basis.
--
Michael Dow

INGrandad

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 06:52:37 PM »
Dredge this back.

Too many good choices, so little time to make cheese.

Oil/cocoa/black pepper
Coffee
Turmeric? I love curry powder and does that ever sound good.
Cinnamon? Why not?

And what do you all think about an oil mix with any of the above? Olive oil/curry powder. Coffee/cocoa. Coffee/cinnamon...

Aiieeee.....

tananaBrian

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 07:45:38 PM »
interesting idea. Turmeric is also a natural fungicide. which I just used to great effect to cure myself. never thought of using it on cheese. gives everything an amazing yellow color. must use gloves. learned that the hard way.

1. Cured yourself of what?  I'm imagining bright yellow toes free of athlete's foot ...  ^-^  :o

2. Most of a year has passed ...any pix of the finished cheese?  Or comments on its flavor profile?

3. Interesting about both the turmeric and the cinnamon.  I just learned yesterday that cinnamon naturally helps prevent sugar and carb cravings by helping to regulate blood sugar ...it was recommended to just have one rounded teaspoon a day, e.g. on your oatmeal or something.  Reference:  The Weight Watcher's web site (lost 80# so far, 25# to go...)

Brian

mightyjesse

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 07:50:35 PM »
I've done a couple of cinnamoned cheeses. The fruity notes from the cinnamon penetrate the body of the cheese, making it... desserty. The woody notes don't seem to travel as well, to the point that, at first, I couldn't really identify what had gone awry with my cheesy process. It wasn't BAD, per se, but it certainly wasn't the way my gouda normally tasted!

darius

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 07:58:53 PM »
Most spices and herbs that are antioxidant are usually also bacteriostatic. The herbs and spices highest in antioxidant content includes clove, allspice, peppermint, clinnamon as noted above, oregano and thyme. I'm not sure about the bacteriostatic properties of these, but I'd be willing to give them a try. Some of the others (also used in curing meats) are garlic, ginger and nigella.

The only pro-oxidant one that I remember is marjoram and I'd never use it in cured sausages.

Somewhere I had a list but since I don't remember what I named it, I can't find it on my hard drive. Sorry.