Author Topic: Homesteading in New Zealand  (Read 1401 times)

kawatiri kaas

Homesteading in New Zealand
« on: December 10, 2009, 09:32:12 AM »
Hi from New Zealand, I live in Westport on the West Coast of the South Island - a lovely place with a healthy annual rainfall - with my wife and two children. We are very blessed to rent a house with a couple of acres of good pasture. We acquired a commercial Jersey calf a couple of years ago and she calved this year - fulfilling a life long dream, our own house cow. We have Light Sussex chooks, an English Cocker Spaniel, moggie, and a number non-specific sheep Over the years I have worked in Landscape design, horticulture, sales, farming, saw-milling and sign writing. I now work at the local Hotel as the janitor cum warehouseman cum whatever. My wife home schools our children and trades in books (our NZ 'ebay' is called trademe). We love networking with people who are doing things for themselves, bartering ideas, goods and stories. Looking forward to the knowledge wave conference/workshop in Karamea this January. Would love to have our own place one day with a coal range and composting toilet! Happy to share what we know/are learning and any equipment we have. We were once part of WOOFERs but are not really set up for accommodation at the mo.

MrsKK

Re: Homesteading in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »
Thanks for the intro, Brett.  I've enjoyed all of your posts so far.

Sounds like we're a lot alike...a little bit of this, a little bit of that.  I'm currently working at a motel, too, as night auditor...which means that I stay up all night, check in guests, provide security (have to shush the loud drunks), fold laundry, and run the computer program that audits the previous day's financial activities.  Not a glamorous job, but I like it.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Homesteading in New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 03:22:18 AM »
Hello again Brett.
You have been a pleasure to post with. I enjoyed the sheep shearing too!