Author Topic: FoodSavers-- which one to get?  (Read 4187 times)

humble_servant7

FoodSavers-- which one to get?
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:34:59 PM »
Hi all, Just now trying to decide on a foodsaver.

But need help deciding which one to get.

They dont see to list the width sizes of these machines at all.

I was hoping to look for one that was at the very least 11 inches wide OR MORE, so I can have the versatility of being able to store either small or a LARGE cheese in the bag if I wanted to.

So, I think I'm going to aim for the most expensive one:
http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=87&pid=249

What do you all think?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: FoodSavers-- which one to get?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 03:46:34 AM »
It looks mighty impressive! Hand free operation sounds real good. Wish mine did that.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 04:13:37 PM »
Humble - Please check other opinions of people that have used different models (www.epinions.com, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_2_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=foodsaver+vacuum+sealer&x=0&y=0&sprefix=foodsaver). I did, and I found out that the new and improved models...are not!!! These are the ones with "Smartseal Technology".

I looked online and in the local stores. If you can access Ebay, check that out. I bought a V2830 this past month for $61 and it is wonderful. Other good deals can be had for less than the $259 for the model you're looking at. It would be a shame to pay that much and be disappointed.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 05:27:51 PM »
So the new hands free thing doesn't work huh? To bad it could be handy when doing soups and stews. I used hang my ole Daisy on bottom edge of the cabinets and push it shut with my head to seal. The newer ones have locks that have to be clicked in so it won't work that way.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
Now, Debi, did you get a picture of that?  It would make great greeting cards, i.e., "See what we used to do in the good old days for fun."

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 09:24:58 PM »
 ;D No my hands were busy holding the bag while I pressed the thingy with my head. No hands left to operate the camera. Would have been a funny shot though!

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:36:13 AM »
Boofer, I think I was looking at that model in our local SamsClub chain wholesale store in USA for USD150.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 08:08:43 AM »
Humble - Here's a possible for you:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VItem&item=120505194020&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_1532wt_939

At the time of this posting, midnight December 11, there are just a few hours left and the bidding is extremely low at $9.99. True, it no doubt will rise some, but as I said before, I bought a pristine sealer for $61 and no tax or shipping.

Here's the deadline: Time left:   15h 52m 2s (Dec 12, 200915:48:47 PST)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 02:20:44 PM »
Thanks for researching that, Boofer.  I hope someone from here can take advantage of a great deal like that.

Debi, that's one of those moments that my kids always liked to catch me in!

humble_servant7

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 03:06:36 AM »
Humble - Here's a possible for you:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VItem&item=120505194020&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_1532wt_939

At the time of this posting, midnight December 11, there are just a few hours left and the bidding is extremely low at $9.99. True, it no doubt will rise some, but as I said before, I bought a pristine sealer for $61 and no tax or shipping.

Here's the deadline: Time left:   15h 52m 2s (Dec 12, 200915:48:47 PST)

-Boofer-

Thanks, Boofer-- but as I read in the description, it sees to be a defective odel with very weak sealing pressure.

I think I will either get the V2840 and if not that then the V2830 (same as you).

How big of a cheese are you able to store in your bag, btw?

I want to make sure it gives me the versatility to store large quantities of cheeses (such as a wheel of cheese) or small quantities (such as a couple slices of cheese).

Thanks

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 02:04:04 AM »
The one I have has an 11 inch sealer. Bags are typically 8 inch and 11 inch. I can easily store my 4 pound 7 inch wheel in the bag. Smaller items can also be stored. I didn't see that the one I pointed out was a poor sealer. It finally closed at $67.

I had my doubts about the usefulness of the added canisters with the model I bought, but that was put to rest when I vacuum-sealed some chocolate chip oatmeal cookies I baked yesterday. Why not, I thought? Meanwhile, the fresh ones we eat are in a big Tupperware tub. Can't eat 6 dozen cookies really quick, you know.  ;D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 04:06:24 AM »
Ouch $67 for a bad sealer? I just paid $69 for the V2040 at WalMart in Wisconsin Rapids in October. The only thing I don't like is I CAN'T operate it with my head. It has these two clips, one on either side you have to engage and I can't reach it.

Karen My son used to always make fun of me using whatever I could to get things done, head, feet, butt, belly whatever works to hold stuff in place!