Author Topic: John's Cheese Cave #6 - Small GE 4.3 cf Fridge Freezer  (Read 17530 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: John's Cheese Cave #6 - Small GE 4.3 cf Fridge Freezer
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 07:22:01 PM »
Have you thought about building your own thermostat?

http://sites.google.com/site/aliask/fridgethermostat

http://www.craig.copperleife.com/tech/thermo/
Thanks for those links, linuxboy. I was looking for a microcontroller for another task. Good stuff.

I took a terry dish towel and lined the drip tray with it. It would wick up the water. After a day or two, you'll know when, as you go to flip your cheese just change the towel. This would get the Rh down in the 70% range.
That's an improvement I can make. Right now I just use a paper towel and wick it up while I'm checking and turning the cheeses.

My cave is a 33-inch tall Sanyo with the freezer and drip tray at the top.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Cheese Head

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 03:35:50 AM »
steampwr8, two great ideas, thanks! OK starting tonight instead of using my normal sponge to mop up free water and then squeeze out into a bowl, I laid down a small terry cloth towel in the drip tray and will change with a second one and hang wet one dry. Will let you know if humidity is better! Second idea is also good and yes my temperature sensor cable gets squeezed by the rubber door molding everytime I close the door, not good. Will try 1st.

Also, tonight when I put the towel in, the unit was quiet but it must of just been on as after sopping up some water I used the cloth to wipe the moisture off of the inside of the freezer compartment as normal and it instantly stuck, froze on as aluminum freezer compartment was super cold and icy. So I think part of the problem is that when the compressor cycles on, it goes on hard resulting in freezer aluminum freezing and sucking the moisture out of the air, in normal use these style units do normally buildup a coating of frost ice. Anyway, just an observation, and I turned the internal thermostat from minimum 1 (0 being off) all the way to max 7, but I don't think that will make a difference as the unit probably only cycles on for 2 minutes regardless of if internal thermostat is set to min or max.

Boofer, sounds like we have same style unit and thus same problem :-\.

steampwr8

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 02:51:05 PM »
I recommend using clean towels after one or two changes. I noticed that if all I did was change and dry I started to get BAD mold on the towels...

Don't want black mold anywhere near our cheese. :o

Maurice

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 03:17:44 AM »
Thermostat is one important thing for your freezer. The freezer works as the thermostat works. This helps to control the cooling system of the freezer.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:25:51 AM by Maurice »