Author Topic: Cultures & Enzymes - Freezing During Shipping?  (Read 4646 times)

driekus

Cultures & Enzymes - Freezing During Shipping?
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:07:05 PM »
Hi, I was wondering if someone here could put my mind at ease. I ordered a pile of cheesemaking ingredients including Rennet, cultures and Brie/Roquefort molds a week or so ago. Unfortunately we had a bit of a cold snap in Edmonton (temperatures below -30C). The ingredients have yet to arrive and I'm worried that such low temperatures during postage will damage the ingredients. Can anyone advise me as to whether the temperatures will kill my enzymes, cultures and molds?
Thanks heaps for any advice

justsocat

Re: Cultures & Enzymes - Freezing During Shipping?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:10:20 AM »
I can definitely tell only about P. roqueforty. My showed good activity after two weeks in a freezer. And it was not dried. So don't worry about blue mold. But I never treated other ingredients like that. So no suggestions.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 05:19:19 PM »
dreikus, good question. For our American friends, -30C is -22F (the two scales cross at -40, -40F = -40C) :o.

I think your freeze dried cultures should be fine, I keep all mine in kitchin freezer, albeit nowhere near that cold. There's some Product Data Sheets in our Library, you could check there. Also, how about contacting your supplier?

But your rennet, assuming liquid could be a problem, first if glass bottle then probably broken, second I don't know how liquid rennet if frozen and thawed.

driekus

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 06:50:08 PM »
I had at the culture sheets and freeze dried molds should be ok, it is the rennet and the lipase that worry me. I contacted the supplier who is located in Canada (Glengarry), they seem incredibly friendly. I will post there reply here so everyone can benefit.  ;D Im just excited to start making cheese. Got my nice wine cooler and everything else ready, now for the enzymes, loops etc.

driekus

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:55:05 PM »
Well I thought Id provide an update. Margaret from Glengarry responded to my email and was incredibly friendly with what is a silly noob question. Neither the lipase nor the rennet that I ordered is affected by freezing. Whether Glengarry uses different versions of rennet or lipase to combat the Canadian cold Im not sure of, but considering that Canada is cold a good fraction of the year, it would not surprise me if different versions were used.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 11:34:34 PM »
Thanks, good news and good to know.

Lipase is normally a powder, so makes sense that it is OK.

Assume your rennet is powder or tablet and not liquid, which I would have thought would be a probelm if frozen.

driekus

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 01:14:22 AM »
It is liquid form. She did not have my order handy when she replied to my email but indicated natural rennet can freeze or thaw and still maintain vitality. Im guessing not freezing it for a prolonged time does not have too deliterious of an effect.

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 02:25:14 AM »
Thanks driekus, good to know.

driekus

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 02:45:08 AM »
I will try the rennet and see if it coagulates the milk. Im new to cheese making in general but have used rennet before (I have a biological sciences background). Will keep you posted

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 05:41:34 AM »
Margaret is a real sweetheart! Her liquid rennet is in a plastic bottle so hopefully it will stretch an bit if frozen everything else should be fine. Have you ordered her book yet? It's one of the best out there in my opinion.

Good luck!

wharris

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 09:57:36 PM »
I was reading the label of my powdered Kid Lipase from Danisco. This is 16oz bag from Dairy Connection.

It states that the product should be used withing 6 months of the manufactured date.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 02:20:16 AM »
A pound? Holy mackreal that even a lot for your huge cheeses. Do you make anything that needs lipase?

Cheese Head

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 01:40:25 AM »
Wayne

I was recently updating the webpage on Lipase and also noticed that 6 month shelf life if frozen guide from Rhodia Brand Lipase Product Data Sheet (Danisco bought Rhodia in 2004).

But Sacco's data sheet for their Lipases say you can store for 12 months if at -18C / 0F.

So I don't think there is a hard and fast law. Plus amount is really just to taste.

I also have a 1 lb bag of Danisco brand Lipase but Calf not Kid and also from DairyConnection.com here in USA and while it's always been stored in freezer, it's now 17 months old!