Author Topic: todays project ?  (Read 3411 times)

reg

todays project ?
« on: July 14, 2008, 12:06:10 PM »
the type of cheese i will be starting i'm still not sure of yet. i'm all out of the both the Alpine style and the Caraway Gouda. i guess i will have to make my mind up soon lol.

i really want to make the Alpine and let it finish natually with a hard rind, one that will be finished on wood and brushed twice a week with brine or ??? i'm really leaning in that direction but everyone liked the Caraway Gouda so much its hard to choose right now

so much to do and so little time

reg

Cheese Head

Re: todays project ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:06:57 PM »
Great to be busy . . . you must reaaly like your Alpine, sounds like your and friends consumption is ahead of production. Thus you need to get ahead of the curve and make several cheeses and "salt them away" for longer term. Great problem to have . . . if you have the time ;D. Have fun!

Tea

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:27:30 AM »
Yes I was thinking the same.  Why not make both.  Maybe if you keep the family happy first, then you will be able to make more of the alpine after.
Interested to find out what way you went.

reg

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 11:48:29 AM »
well Tea decided to go with the Alpine style first as it will take the longest to mature. i introduced my starter at about 8pm last evening, the PH reading was 6.9 after adding the starter. this morning, 12hrs later the PH reading is 6.4 so we are headed in the right direction by the looks of it. this will be the first time charting the PH levels throughout the process.

reg

reg

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »
well here is the report on the PH readings up to this point. i am at my first press with 20lbs for the first hr.

milk at room temp of 70*                    PH of 6.8

ripened milk after 12hrs at 70*            PH of 6.4

after cutting the curds                      PH of 6.4

at the start of draining                      PH of 6.3

will measure the PH at the bottom of the cheese after finish pressing tomorrow

great day of cheese making, everything went perfect so far. may have finished to this point with the most amount of curd that i have since starting the hobby. don't think i did anything different that what i normally do but ... :-)))

reg

reg

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 11:12:46 AM »
final PH reading of the whey left in the bottom pan after pressing all night            PH of 5.5

made up the salting brine out of the whey that was left. not sure it will make a difference but i know i read it somewhere. we will see when i cut the cheese

reg

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:47:59 PM »
Reg, glad it all went well.  It's very satisfying when each step goes as planned.

Thanks for the pH readings.

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 01:29:43 AM »
Email and picture sent in by Reg:

Morning John. Attached is a photo of the latest Alpine style cheese brining in a large SS bowl. this time around I used the whey left from the making proceedure to see if it will make any difference in the final outcome

Time will tell

reg

Tea

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 03:14:08 AM »
There are a number of cheese which require the reuse of the whey.  I have often wondered if it is essential to the over all cheese quality.
Must do some research and see if there is an answer.