Author Topic: Natamycin - Where Buy?  (Read 11287 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Natamycin - Where Buy?
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:51:35 AM »
Where can a hobbyist find Natamycin?

linuxboy

Re: Natamycin - Where Buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 01:03:43 AM »
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:19:15 AM by linuxboy »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 07:31:06 AM »
Where can a hobbyist find Natamycin?

Sorry, this thread is rather old.
I was following an earlier one:

Here is a fool proof method for growing a good b. linen rind:

add b.linens to your make

prepare a solution of 3% salt, b.linen and natamycin (this will kill blue mold).

dip your cheese for the first three days in the solution (1x daily)

wash with a rag for an additional 4 - 7 days.  keep the aging area at 85-95% RH with good oxygen exchange.

after 7 - 10 days the rind will begin to change to an orange color, wrap the cheese in glasene paper and put in your fridge for 2 months.

remove after 60 days and enjoy.

Has anyone used natamycin? I'm about to dive into Muenster and I wanted to try and sidestep some of the problems that I've seen posted.

Is there any place cheaper than the $75 from Danlac?

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »
Any of the hobby suppliers should be able to order it for you from Danisco.  My Danisco contact in Germany has told me the DSM product is actually theirs, DSM buys it off them.  Makes sense as DSM can't match their price for it, but it is really expensive.  Good thing about it is the recommended dose in solution is about 5ppm, so that $75 will last a while.  I think we get it in 100 gram bottles, it's a powder.

And yes, natamycin will kill blue.  It generally is good for about 4 weeks, then starts to degrade.

Oh, check it's other name: pimaracin

MarkShelton

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 12:23:53 PM »
I've been wondering about that also, Boofer. Maybe we could split a bottle.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 06:50:52 AM »
Thanks, Francois.

Does anyone on this forum use natamycin (pimaracin)?

Mark, sharing the load sounds like a great idea. Do you have a gram scale so we know how to divide the 100 grams?

Going from the Danlac site:
"Directions for Use:

The method of applying NATAMAX depends on the application for which it is used. Please contact us for specific information.
usage level range 5 - 50 p.p.m (5 - 50 g. per metric ton of cheese)
30 p.p.m would be as follows:
5 gr. / liter water solution
"

That would give a total of 20 distinct baths of 5gram each. Assuming that someone could effectively dip a cheese with one bath thoughout the creation of the cheese (within 4 weeks), storing it in the fridge between dips, that would permit 20 cheese makes for the $75. If we split it in half, 10 makes is plenty for me. I would like to try a few washed rinds and that would allow me to do it hopefully in a cleaner fashion (fewer headaches). I do wonder why the 30ppm (5-50ppm usage range) was quoted/selected. Would a lower ppm still permit effective blue kill? If so, then additional makes could be added.

Is there a downside to using the natamycin?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

MarkShelton

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
Yes, I have a kitchen scale that measures out to grams. It's only accurate to +/- 1gram, but its good enough for me.

I'd use it in my brine for reblochon, so the 5g/liter (30ppm) would actually be a better usage guide for me.

About the stability, does it degrade after 4 weeks after it's mixed, or does it only have a shelf-life of 4 weeks? I'd hope and assume that if it is still in powdered form and unmixed, that it will keep longer than a month, but I want to make sure.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 03:18:27 PM »
The way I read it was that the solution you prepare will last 4 weeks and then start to degrade. I would expect the powder to last for a year or two in the freezer. Anyone out there see an error in this thinking?

Mark, how would you like to proceed on this? Would you buy it and divide it and I'd repay you? If so, I'll PM my personal info to you.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

FRANCOIS

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 03:29:58 AM »
It degrades in solution after 4 weeks.  It keeps for a long time in the bottle as just powder.  Down side is regulatory, most countries have rules around it's usage, since I belive it is classified as an antibiotic.  In NZ is can't be in the final product above a certain level to a prescribed depth of rind.

foodnutrition

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 01:25:10 AM »
Natamycin is an antifungal agent produced during fermentation by the bacterium.
You can found in soil.
If you quantity is too much, you can buy local or import