Author Topic: Raclette hotstone.  (Read 7807 times)

Tea

Raclette hotstone.
« on: December 17, 2009, 08:44:30 PM »
Found this this morning while looking for something else.  Has anyone got one of these?  Thought it was of interest.

http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Hotstone-Classic-Raclette-SwissMar/dp/B000FDN20M/ref=pd_sim_k_3

Zinger

Re: Raclette hotstone.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 03:30:10 PM »
Interesting item. I don't have one of these, but I do have a Raclette maker, which is a tabletop appliances for melting the cheese for eating Raclette. We enjoy it as it reminds us of where we first discovered Raclette as a meal, in Gruyere Switzerland. I suggest you try out the stone and enjoy the dining experience.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 07:18:17 PM »
It looks like a piece of granite.  I wonder if a floor tile would work?

fxcuisine

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:35:32 PM »
If you have a fireplace, just buy a piece of solid wood or a flat stone and do your raclette properly by placing a half cheese facing the fire. Those raclette appliances give dreadful watered down versions of what you can achieve with a simple fireplace. Please excuse the killjoy but it really is like watching Jurassic Park on youtube compared to what you can do with a fire.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »
It looks like a piece of granite.  I wonder if a floor tile would work?

I use a ceramic floor tile for bread baking, instead of the heavy traditional baking stone. As i do have a baking stone to, I can assure you that nobody noticed any difference between the two baking "stones". I hope this answered your question Debi  :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 07:57:56 PM »
Yes I have used ceramic tiles for bread baking that's why I wondered about the Raclette maker.

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:23:32 PM »
I have actually seen them in a local store for nearly twice as much (same brand). This specialty store also sells the real deal - the Raclette warmer that you see in restaurants and stands in Europe. It's like a little anodized steel boat that holds half a weel of cheese and directly above it there is a hot glow wire that melts the living daylights out of this cheese and make everything within 17 mile radius smell like Raclette. Yumm!
Just last night we made Brandada de Bacalao - a dish of salt code mixed with cream and mash potatoes, covered with a layer of Raclette and put in the oven for 20 minutes. The apartment still smell of it :)

My local store sells the stones online but not the professional Raclette grill: http://www.zabars.com/swissmar-classic-raclette-party-grill-%23kf77031/B20Z00B,default,pd.html?cgid=

SueVT

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 12:18:20 PM »
Yes!!!  Bought it yesterday, used it last night!!  I did this because I made a batch of Raclette cheese back in October, which was ready (and it is delicious).

Going to post photos on my blog, probably today....

I think this machine is absolutely worth the money.  It works perfectly, doesn't take that long to heat up.
The stone top is a piece of polished granite, very nice.  We'd had a pierrade once in Canada, and I have wanted one of these things ever since.

Swissmar also has a free Raclette cookbook, which I picked up at the kitchen store.  You can make all sorts of little side dishes in the Raclette pans underneath the stone.  Must try this!

Sue
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:24:41 PM by SueVT »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 05:35:26 PM »
That's a prety kewl machine Sue congrats! Looks like it could be a lot of fun at dinner time.

Laughingfrog

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 11:36:10 PM »
I have one of these. My favorite thing to grill on it is morel mushrooms, so in honor of this I made a morel raclette a few months ago. Haven't cracked it yet.
I really like it because you don't need to oil the stone, just add a bit more liquid if needed while things are cooking.

iratherfly

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 04:38:43 AM »
I was thinking about all of you dear people when I was in France last month. I suppose I never noticed these on previous visits before thread started, but this time I couldn't get rid of Raclette stones - they are EVERYWHERE! I couldn't believe the selection of Raclette devices in every housewares department!

...feast your eyes below

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 02:55:18 AM »
I have to look around I think my old waffle maker came with those litttle cup thingys but I didn't know what they were for. Hope I didn't throw them out.

SueVT

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 03:02:48 AM »

Oh Wow on the pictures!  I want to go shopping there!!
Sue

iratherfly

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 04:07:44 AM »
Funny Debi, I thought these were that part of the George Forman Grill that collects the fat :)

Sue; Most European department stores would have them. I saw a huge selection of them at Galeries Lafayette (http://www.galerieslafayette.com/) and Bazar de L'Hotel de Ville (http://bhv.fr) in Paris and in KaDeWe in Berlin (http://www.kadewe.de/en/). You just need a trip or a friend in Europe and a 220 volt to 110 volt converter... Otherwise, I would try eBay. It's just nice to know so many major brands make them. Tefal, Lagrange, Swissmar leading the way.
Lagrange by the way makes all kinds of other fantastic kitchen gadgets. The most fascinating of these is an... electronic cheese maker. Huh? http://www.lagrange.fr/fromagere/fromagere-video-en.html

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 03:29:35 AM »
Oooo I have an electric griller thingy (still in the box) with little square cups too. I wonder if that's what those were for? One Christamas I got like three griller thingys and a sandwich maker. I think I used one of them twice.