Author Topic: Raclette hotstone.  (Read 7809 times)

scubagirlwonder

Re: Raclette hotstone.
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 10:40:34 PM »
Mmmmmm, we had Raclette for dinner last night and it was sooooo tasty!
I decided to buy a couple different brands of Raclette cheese to try out and see if it is in fact a cheese I would like to make, and I was surprised at the major differences in the taste of the two brands we bought! The first was mild and nutty, while the second was somewhat sharp with a definite stinkiness to it! The second one also had numerous eyes throughout and was rather soft in consistency (difficult to slice, almost like a soft brie), whereas the first had a solid eyeless paste and firm consistency. I preferred the milder of the two...(it melted prettier too; the stinky one was greasier when melted)
We ate the melted cheese with Russian banana fingerling potatoes, dry coppa and salami, gherkins, and crusty bread, DELISH!

iratherfly

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 06:30:07 AM »
As far as I remember Raclette is a young cheese that starts with a soft paste and gradually forms into a hard grating cheese with a different flavor profile. I suspect that you didn't compare them apple to apple but rather young apple to older apple...

SueVT

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 04:15:21 AM »
scuba,
Your first cheese (the firmer one) sounds more correct.  The other one sounds kind of off.....
I have had the experience of purchasing Raclette slices wrapped in plastic, which were kind of dissolving the rind from moisture inside the plastic.  Nasty.  Much better to make your own!
Sue

benjaminfrey

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 07:26:32 PM »
Yes!!!  Bought it yesterday, used it last night!!  I did this because I made a batch of Raclette cheese back in October, which was ready (and it is delicious).

Going to post photos on my blog, probably today....

I think this machine is absolutely worth the money.  It works perfectly, doesn't take that long to heat up.
The stone top is a piece of polished granite, very nice.  We'd had a pierrade once in Canada, and I have wanted one of these things ever since.

Swissmar also has a free Raclette cookbook, which I picked up at the kitchen store.  You can make all sorts of little side dishes in the Raclette pans underneath the stone.  Must try this!

Sue

Would you share the Raclette recipe, I'd like to make a batch of it.

Thanks

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 03:56:21 AM »
The recipe is posted around here somewhere but I couldn't find it. So here it is again.

SueVT
Here is what I do.  This is basically Danisco's formula. (the link to my Raclette blog entry is in another post today, if you want to see the results)

For 3.5 gal raw milk :  Starting pH for me is 6.8.

Heat to 90 degrees F.

Innoculate with 1/2 Pinch Choozit Alp D LYO 100 DCU/1000 l  (this is a small amount, under 1/8 tsp)

Ripen 60 - 90 min until pH 6.5

Rennet:  1/2 tsp liquid rennet in a small amount of cool water. 
Setting time:  15 - 18 min
Coagulation time:  30 - 40 min.

Cutting:  pea to hazelnut size

Stir:  25 min

Draw off 25% of the whey

WASHING (with clear water): 
    pH before Washing:  6.35 - 6.40
   Add 25% of the volume back with clear water, heated to 140 degrees F.
   Temp should be at 100 degrees F ("scalding temp")

Stir 10 min

Prepress under whey for 10 min

Press in cheesecloth-lined mold at 10 lb. only

Brine for 1 day in saturated brine bath

pH after brining:  5.2

Let the surface dry

Affinage:  b linens in 3% salt solution - smear
Smear twice on the 1st and 3rd day.  After day 5, smear every 3rd day.
Store at cave temp (52 F) , RH 90 95%

At the end of the first month the cheese should have a rather dry smear.

Age for 2 to 4 months.