Author Topic: Bulging Havarti  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Ginger

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Bulging Havarti
« on: December 18, 2009, 04:28:45 PM »
Last weekend I made a 2 gallon batch of Havarti.  I used store bought milk and the meso starter I made from buttermilk.  I have used both of these ingredients the last 12 batches of either Monterey Jack or Farmhouse Cheddar and all my batches have been great.  However, this is the first time I used the calcium chloride in the pellet form.  I mixed 1oz pellet to 16oz water and used 1/4 tsp in the milk.  My Havarti is bulging and as you can see in the pics there are a couple of small "volcanoes" on the sides of each one of which has erupted and there are other soft spots on the sides.   I have never had a batch do this.  My cave has a kind of sweet yeasty smell when I open it.  Need some input.  In the meantime, I will just keep checking them every day.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Bulging Havarti
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 07:15:25 PM »
That would seem to be some form of gas producing contamiation. Havarti does not produce gases that bulge.

Offline Ginger

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 07:19:41 PM »
So now what?  Open and try or throw it out.  I really want to learn from this. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:05:37 PM »
If it were me I'd keep it and see what happens.  You could have a blow out. One of those cheeses seems to have a huge bulge on the side. You could also cut them and see what's going on inside. Looks like a mistake you can learn from. Do you have zip lock bags or containers big enough to hold the cheeses so you can watch them but contain them in the event they do blow? Keep the mess to a minimum so to speak?

Offline Ginger

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 06:37:53 AM »
The wheel on the right if you can see where it is really shiny has blown or erupted like it had to breathe.   They are in a plastic shoe box so they will be fine.  The smell has almost a citric odor.  Do you think I should open one now and check.  Will it be bad or do I have a swiss havarti?  Should I taste it when I open it? 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »
Unless you really need the space, I would let them go to 60 days before cutting. Whatever is causing that has already done it's deed. 6o days will give the bacteria time to do their thing and start dying.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 10:17:58 PM »
Well if it's already blown no need to worry. How bad was it? One loos like it's got a stick poking its way out.

Quesa

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 07:18:36 PM »
Did you use penicillium spray mold to help the Havarti age? Or on any other cheese that you made at the same time?

:)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »
Havarti does not use penicilium it gets curd bath instead.  ;)

Quesa

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 11:13:18 PM »
Yah, I knew it doesn't... was asking in case she did use it.

Or, also was thinking that it could have become in contact with another cheese being done at the same time, one that does require the mold, and gotten it that way.

The white dusty stuff on her cheese makes me think that, though I may be all together wrong.

:)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 11:18:02 PM »
You never know do you? Mold is catchy!

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 08:22:06 AM »
Do you live in cold weather? US East Coast? ...A friend of mine has suggested that lower quality store-bought milk during the cold season is problematic; As I understand, the cows no longer have grass available and are fed fermented food - silage and wet hay that apparently causes gas production when met with the enzymes in aging cheeses. This happens less with small local producers that take better care of smaller herds and feed them quality feed. Can anyone here confirm that?

Offline Ginger

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 04:06:27 PM »
No, I haven't used any penicillium spray.  I haven't ventured into the mold cheeses yet.  I live in the northwest but I have always used store bought and usually make more cheese in the winter and haven't had this problem.  There isn't any mold on the outside it is just drying and turning a little white.  The bigger one is still recuperating and has a couple of small eruptions that are healing.  It is still a little spongey when squeezed.  The smaller one is looking very good.  They are 12 days old and I have hope for them.  By the way, I used the recipe out of 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes and it didn't say to do any brining after you remove it from the mold. 

iratherfly

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 04:24:53 PM »
I wonder if there is a proper known technique to release excess gas from cheese. Does anyone know?

Offline Ginger

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 05:52:37 AM »
I guess you just let the gasses use that stick and poke themselves out.  I love that.   Good one Deb!