Author Topic: Designing a creamy, sweet, mocha cheese  (Read 1246 times)

DoctorCheese

Designing a creamy, sweet, mocha cheese
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:57:30 PM »
I am considering creating a cheese that is sweet and creamy enough to counterbalance the bold flavors of chocolate and/or espresso. Sort of how cheesecake goes really well with raspberries or some other fruit to cut through the fattiness. I know that washing curds lowers the acidity of the cheese, but at what is too much washing. I know that you can add cream to the milk to make the cheese richer, but how much can you add? I want the cheese to be such rich, sweet, and creamy that without the intensity of the rind it would be too decadent. Any ideas, suggestions, comments, or smart remarks are welcome :)

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Designing a creamy, sweet, mocha cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:58:08 AM »
What about a Brie with pure cream.  >:D

DoctorCheese

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 09:24:50 PM »
I was thinking a semi-hard cheese, but I do appreciate your reply  ^-^

AnnDee

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:03:38 PM »
How about Alpine style, washed curd with raw jersey or high fat milk (or with cream added)?
Or even a manchego style with chocolate rub.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 01:37:15 AM »
How about Alpine style, washed curd with raw jersey or high fat milk (or with cream added)?

This is pretty much what I was thinking. I would definitely add cream but the washing part I am not sure exactly how to proceed-- how long, what percent of water to add in, what temp. Also, which culture/s to add I am unsure on.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 05:01:02 AM »

Look up Linuxboys tomme recipe it has the option to do a washed curd

and keep the curd well above 5.4 ph

AnnDee

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 04:39:42 PM »

This is pretty much what I was thinking. I would definitely add cream but the washing part I am not sure exactly how to proceed-- how long, what percent of water to add in, what temp. Also, which culture/s to add I am unsure on.

I think I will remove 25% whey and scald with 140F water until it reach 100F, basically following a raclette wash schedulle. I like using AlpD for my alpine cheese but of course you can go TA plus LH or even buttermilk plus bulgarian yoghurt (but for me, I prefer Alpine cheese with helveticus in it).

Having said that, I also like Gregore's Tomme idea. Throw in some mycodore in it and most probably you will get a colourful rind.