Author Topic: Bulging Havarti  (Read 4282 times)

Alex

Re: Bulging Havarti
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 02:08:19 PM »

No, I haven't used any penicillium spray.  I haven't ventured into the mold cheeses yet.  I live in the northwest but I have always used store bought and usually make more cheese in the winter and haven't had this problem.  There isn't any mold on the outside it is just drying and turning a little white.  The bigger one is still recuperating and has a couple of small eruptions that are healing.  It is still a little spongey when squeezed.  The smaller one is looking very good.  They are 12 days old and I have hope for them.  By the way, I used the recipe out of 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes and it didn't say to do any brining after you remove it from the mold.

According to your description, that the eruptions are healing, looking at the first pictures, the eruptions look like very wet spots that dried out with time. Just a guess.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 06:25:26 PM »
I am in CT it's pretty cold and snowy right now. I usually only make cheese and fermented sausages, beer etc  in the winter because I close off a room to use as a huge refrigerator. I just recently got an extra Mini fridge for summer cheese making. I have never had any trouble with gas blowing in my cheeses.

I am very curious about this gas blowing cheese syndrome. I have never seen it but I have heard and seen pictures of cheeses totally destroying themselves. Maybe urban legends? I would imagine it would have to be highly contaminated for that to happen.

A very ole 1918 or something book I downloaded once said that when the critters are milked )cows, goats whatever) the contaminants are introduced to the milk through falling dust and dander etc and showed a cheese that looked like it had a fire cracker inserted into it. My guess is with all the sanitation in milking and milking equipment today that would be almost non existant.

ideacollector

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 08:01:34 PM »
Ginger,  How did your bulging Havarti turn out?  Mine has done much the same thing as yours, but I'm thinking it had too much humidity when it was being tended by a neighbor while I was out of town.  Looks like I've stopped the spread of whatever-it-is by brine washing it for two days in a row and dramatically lowering the ambient humidity, but I was wondering if I'm likely to get an edible cheese if I wait.  Thanks!