Author Topic: Question re cultures  (Read 1463 times)

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
Question re cultures
« on: January 08, 2010, 02:34:21 AM »
Hi Guys and Girls!  :)

I am wondering about 2 things:

1) I know people who want to go into home cheese making. So I'd like to know whether all (most) cultures are delivered frozen which makes it impossible to order overseas. OR can cultures be purchased lyophilised or dehydrated hence purchasable overseas without any trouble?

2) I remember reading that you can create a blue culture from a piece of bread in a bag with a piece of blue cheese. Then let it dry out, crush it and freeze the culture.
So what about a piece of say camembert using the same process, to be able to keep that culture?

Let me know your thoughts about this, please!

Best to all of you!

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: Question re cultures
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 02:44:39 AM »
My supplier here in Australia once said the cultures came from US in normal shipping temps but when they are selling them, they ship it in boxes with ice. I always keep them in freezer though.

I read somewhere that blue culture AKA Penicillium Roqueforti can be collected from air using rye bread or you can throw in blue cheese with some rye bread in a container but I am not sure what else is going to grow in there. Add Blue cheese directly into your milk by blending with some milk in a mixer.

For Camembert, you can also blend it with some milk in a mixer and add it to your milk in the beginning.

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
Re: Question re cultures
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 04:40:20 AM »
Manu thanks, Gurkan!  :)