Author Topic: Store bought Camembert  (Read 8298 times)

FRANCOIS

Re: Store bought Camembert
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 09:32:09 PM »
There are at least 6 different b. linen strains available in France that I have seen.  They range from ivory to blood red in color on the rind.  The PLA color is a very slightly yellow / ivory.  Remember that this color will only be seen after the white mold dies off and where the cheese has been handled roughly.  Traditional cam and brie recipes use an OFR or PLA mix as well.  Just remember that the dosing for these mixes is miniscule.  Add too much and they will eb the dominant microflora.

iratherfly

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 03:07:32 AM »
Thanks Francois, I just ordered some PLA for my upcoming crottins. If you have a Camembert recipe with it - I would love to try it on my next batch!

FRANCOIS

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 07:29:08 AM »
Search my posts, I think there is a recipe in there.  With cam and brie, traditional recipes are basically pretty similar, it doesn't matter much which you use. 

I just stressed sloppy as I recall this cheese having a very acidic, flinty texture.  This would mean you cut the curds giant and use only a stir or two.  A flinty texture is from lots of acid and whey staying in the curd.  I would also try just ladling (no cut and stir) but only if the curd is set really hard.