Author Topic: Mascarpone - Just Thick Cream  (Read 4440 times)

Quesa

Mascarpone - Just Thick Cream
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:33:34 AM »
I tried making Mascarpone for the first time.

I used 1 pint of cream, and 1/8 tsp. tartaric acid. Heated at 180 degrees, stirred and left alone.

Nothing happened. Added an extra 1/8 tsp. tartaric acid. Raised temp to 180 degrees again. Left to rest.

Nothing.

Added another 1/8 tsp., nada. The instructions said to not add more than 1/4 tsp. to a pint of milk.

Left overnight in a cheesecloth hanging inside the fridge and held over a bowl.

In the morning I got a thick cream in my cheesecloth, a little thicker on the sides stuck to the cheesecloth.

I knew Mascarpone is soft... but not that soft. It has the consistency of milk of magnesia.

Anyone seeing what I did wrong? The tartaric acid was just bought and opened. Cream used was ultra pasteurized.

Thanks in advance.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Mascarpone - Just Thick Cream
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 02:44:49 AM »
The cream WAS ultra pasteurized? You do not want it to be ultra pasteurized.

Quesa

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 08:05:51 AM »
Hmm... was the cream then.

Arg!

I knew homogenized/pasteurized matters for culture cheeses, but I didn't know it mattered for Mascarpone.

Thanks.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 01:53:56 AM »
it still needs to make curds!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 07:02:42 PM »
Most restaurants make their Mascarpone with tartaric because it's quick and easy. However, Mascarpone made with Tartaric Acid is whimpy compared to one made with a starter culture. It is so thick a spoon will stand up in it - with no draining.

Quesa

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 08:05:13 PM »
Two days ago I opened the container of "cheese" and was pleasantly surprised. The cream had gotten a little thicker, kinda soft cream cheese.

The taste? Like unsalted butter.   :o

But, I was encouraged.

Last night I skimmed the cream off of 2 gallons of raw milk I was going to use for Mozzarella. I mixed that cream with some of the milk (to about 1/4th cream) and decided to try Mascarpone again.

I got about a quart of "light" cream, which I heated it to 180degrees, and added 1/4th teaspoon of tartaric acid, as per the recipe.

I ended up with something that looks and smells like Ricotta.

I am hoping it will become creamy later on. But, if not, I will try the culture type Mascarpone.

I'm thinking that my Tartaric acid may be not so potent, or not good at all.

The reason I want to try Mascarpone (besides the curiosity) is because it is hard to find it around here, and when found it costs almost $8 per 8 ounce tub. :-\

Mascarpone has been my only problem. So far my Colby is perfect, so are my Goudas, Mozarella, and the Baby Swiss (can't wait to set it out to pop.)

My Havarti is a little oozy and smells kinda like baby milk-puke.   :-\ You mommas know what I'm talking about.

At least I don't have mold problems... well, not yet.

:)

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 08:48:17 PM »
I've been making Mascarpone with raw cream and rice wine vinegar.  I don't add any milk to the cream and the cheese turns out super, super thick.

It makes heavenly Tiramisu!