Author Topic: Plastic bags - good or not?  (Read 8569 times)

justsocat

Re: Plastic bags - good or not?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 08:34:17 AM »
Here i've found the information that confused me a bit:
http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/245-FAQ-Aging-Cheese.html
There is written:

"10. Can I vacuum pack my cheese instead of waxing it?

Vacuum packing is only good for storing cheese. It stops the culture and keeps ripening from happening. For aging, we recommend either waxing or keeping the rind natural."

I understand that vacuum sealing inhibits ripening. But isn't it recommendation not to vacuum pack cheeses of any kind?

linuxboy

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 09:35:49 AM »
Here i've found the information that confused me a bit:
http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/245-FAQ-Aging-Cheese.html
There is written:

"10. Can I vacuum pack my cheese instead of waxing it?

Vacuum packing is only good for storing cheese. It stops the culture and keeps ripening from happening. For aging, we recommend either waxing or keeping the rind natural."

That is a false statement. The lactic acid culture almost completely stops metabolysis in 2-7 days after the make. There's no food left. Vacuum sealing does not inhibit ripening. Molds and other rind finishes like b linens-washed rind affect the cheese by giving it additional flavors that the molds release, so  you can't vacuum pack those until after affinage.

It is correct to say that various affinage practices contribute to ripening and flavor. Of course, if you want, say, a bloomy rind like a camembert, you don't vacuum pack that. Or if you want a natural gruyere type rind, you also need to let that be, washing the rind with brine. Commercially, rindless cheeses are painted with PVA or vac sealed and age fine. Here in the USA, there is a defined commodity, sold on the brokerage/exchange. It is a 40 lb chunk of cheddar vacuum packed immediately after its made and aged in the bag, then sold at various stages of ripeness (baby, mild, sharp, extra sharp).

Does that make sense?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 02:45:56 AM »
I have a ton of cheeses vacuum bagged to disprove that statement.

cath s

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 01:14:48 AM »
just reading this thread prompted my memory.

I used to work for the NZ Dairy Board in the Cheese Area.  I spent alot of time with NZ's largest factory dealing with cheesemakers and the cheese.  All 20kg blocks were vacuum packed, and aged accordingly..

wharris

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 01:32:51 AM »
I'm sure that the those at cheesemaking.com are busily conducting a proactive and vigorous self-review and will be issuing a statement, correcting this mistake.

(i love this forum...)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 03:28:26 AM »
Steve is big on the mold ripened cheeses maybe he was thinking brie like we tend to think about cheddar?

justsocat

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »
Thank you all for chime in. My mind is much clearere now and i'll be waiting for vacuum sealer delivery without thinking of the money spent in vain :D
What a huge heap of books i'd  had to go over to get all those answers if this forum doesn't exist!
Yes, Wayne, I love it too!