Author Topic: Tips on washed-rind cheeses?  (Read 6778 times)

mtncheesemaker

Tips on washed-rind cheeses?
« on: December 26, 2009, 04:29:46 PM »
Hi out there,
I have made a few new cheeses lately including a muenster and a tallegio. I also want to make some Reblochon.
It seems that my attempts at these "unpressed" cheeses don't have a nice closed rind surface like many of the examples I've seen on this forum. Same problem with my blues and tommes.
I even lightly pressed my recent muenster but still have holes in the rind surface. This is a problem because I seem to always develop molds in these areas. Rubbing with brine helps somewhat. I have been afraid to rub with vinegar solution for fear of killing the B. linens.
Can anyone offer some tips on how to form a smoother rind on these unpressed types?
Many thanks in advance.
Pam

Alex

Re: Tips on washed-rind cheeses?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 06:02:45 PM »
What kind of mold do you use for the Munster? On the attached picture you can see the one I use for munster as well for limburger. It is a 3600 cc mold, I make a 10 liters batch. During the first hours I do apply a very light pressure.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »
Thanks, Alex.
I use a tomme mold, that has a follower. It's about 7" in diameter. I usually make a 2-3 gallon batch at a time.
It's the one on the bottom of the picture.
Pam

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 07:53:20 PM »
Pam do you flip the cheese often to allow them to flatten at both ends? I find that if I let mine drain for about 15 to 20 minutes I can carefully flip it and then all the outer edges stay smooth.

Much harder with these soft cheeses to be sure. I did it once in the tomme mold and it was a real PITA to get the curds back in the mold. I got a few of these little square molds from Glengarry Cheese (about $7 each) that make life much simpler with muester as they have no tops or bottoms so flipping is just a mater of turning over the mold with something set on top. The bad part is for 3 gallons you'll need 4 of them then the curds will settle down into about 3 of them. They also make perfect sandwich sized cheeses.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 08:14:29 PM »
I gotta say that I like those square moulds.  Do they just stack one of the other?  DO they clip in side each other?  Going to have to have another look at their site.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 08:19:25 PM »
They just stack. Although I have toyed with the idea of strapping a few together they are more connvient to store that way. I love these little guys. They will hold about a pound of cheese.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 09:22:09 PM »
Thanks, Debi. I do try to flip them pretty often to keep them consolidated but there still seem to be openings on the tops and bottoms. I noticed a couple of your muensters a while back that had a few holes on the top but not as many as mine. It seems like my curds have consolidated somewhat before putting them into the molds, creating more gaps because they are in bigger pieces. Wonder if I should cut them up?
Do you have trouble with molds growing on yours?
Pam

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 04:32:09 AM »
No I don't remember ever getting molds on the muensters before but then they get washed so often it would be hard to do I think. The get sealed a few days after the last wash.

Alex

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 06:28:07 AM »

Thanks, Alex.
I use a tomme mold, that has a follower. It's about 7" in diameter. I usually make a 2-3 gallon batch at a time.
It's the one on the bottom of the picture.
Pam

To my opinion, this mould doesn't have enough draining holes. Originally, Munster is made in stacked molds on one another for weight, as I said, very light pressure. May be your curds are to big, you should cut them into 1 cm (3/8") cubes. As you have to wash the rind with salt brine, unwanted mold shuldn't be an issue. The picture attached shows a Munster made in the mould I showed previously, it's about 8" in dia. 3 gallons are just a bit over 10 liters, that should be OK with your mould. I use a dinner plate to help when flipping the cheese.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 06:42:08 PM »
Alex, that is one gorgeous looking cheese. I think I've seen a similar mold to yours at Glengarry; I'll try your suggestions.
Debi, I looked at my Tallegio today and the blue mold I had is definitely being knocked down. I'm thinking I wasn't being aggressive enough at the beginning with my washing. (Still waiting for the B. linens to appear.)
The whole washed-rind thing is a new process for me but something I'd like to master as I love those cheeses.
Thanks to you both,
Pam

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 01:57:39 AM »
Yes I am new to the washed rind thing to. I've ade Muester without the b.linens for years but now that I have  them I want to get a nice red color. So far I am 0 for 2 on that.

Missy Greene

Re: Question about tomme
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 12:44:53 AM »
Missy from Maine here,  Hi , everyone, I sure have been enjoying reading about everyones experiences, and seeing the great photos of beautiful cheese. iI was wondering if any of you can tell me the brine solution you use for washing the rind of your tomme??? I am using Margaret Morris' book and the recipe is for a huge amount..did the math but am wondering how what I came up with and what you folks have successful used might compare, I mixed up  for one 7" tomme, 1 cup of water, 1T salt, 1/32t mycodore, and a pinch of Geo.  also how long did you let the cheese age before washing the rind?  Right now my tomme seems like a really hard circle of feta...it is just 8 days old.
 Has anyone washed the rind later on with wine or anything?? i was thinking of trying blueberry wine on one..you know, the local thing!
 Thanks in advance, Missy

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 12:00:06 AM »
Hi Missy;
I think I missed your post.
I used 1c water:1.5t salt:pinch B.linens:pinch of Geo (I would have used some Mycodore but didn't have any.
I should have started washing sooner than I did but was looking at too many recipes. I don't know exactly when you should start washing.
I will say that my tomme got pretty scary looking but was delicious in the end. I am definitely going to make this cheese regularly. It was good with all kinds of foods.
Best of luck.
Pam

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 04:15:29 AM »
I start washing after a few days. I can not tolerate green mold I will taste it forever no matter how much I wash the cheese.

Missy Greene

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 01:47:43 AM »
I forgot to check this! well I have some tommes aging. Pam, didn't yo make the  drunken goat???? if so let me know , I have one aging and would love some feedback. thanks, Missy