Author Topic: Addition of Penicillium Roqueforti (My first blue)  (Read 5079 times)

Alex

Re: Addition of Penicillium Roqueforti (My first blue)
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 08:12:35 AM »
Divey, powder form ingredients should be diluted with water and then thoroughly mixed into the milk.

Divey

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 09:58:23 AM »
Hmmm, we have a problem.

Charly

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 07:55:46 PM »
Hello Pam,

I know Roquefort as no blue outside because the cheese is wrap with an aluminum sheet. So the oxygen can only go into the holes you have made.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 08:39:45 PM »
Divey,
The mold will float, you are fine.  Blue of any strain is incredibly aggressive, it really doesn't matter if you have it in the milk or sprinkle as you fill the molds.  It was one weakness though, salt.  That is how blue cheese rinds are kept clean.  They have very high levels of salt and are scrubbed regulary with heavy brine.  it is also why the rind is virtually inedible.

driekus

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 05:12:55 PM »
I noticed that, I was a little concerned about my roquefort style cheese. I have noticed only minimal blueing near the surface and as I do not have anything which can view the inside I was worried that the cheese was not ripening. It doesnt really smell and it has been 3 weeks at 12C. How long do people here age their blues? Considering how aggressive blue mold is I expect interior blueing to not present a significant problem.