Author Topic: Greeteings from Groton MA  (Read 1624 times)

swh

Greeteings from Groton MA
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:16:08 PM »
Folks,

I have been lurking on this great forum for a bit of time and figured it was about time to introduce myself. I have been making cheese for about a year after having the the desire to dive in for many years. I have been drawn to cheese making through my love of artisan baking, small time farming and general interest in creating with local ingredients. I have been building up slowly as may of us do and now have a pretty good handle on most of the techniques. To date I have had pretty good success with most of the major styles. Through my cheese making I have found local suppliers of raw milk (cow and goat) which in it's own right has been a great experience.

As I have experimented my knowledge has grow considerably thanks in part to the great participants on this forum. My production has become much more technical and with that predictable, one aspect I love since I am an engineer by education  though occasionally the bio-chem aspect still perplex me. Bio-chem was never my strength. Santa brought me a acid titration set up so I am now working with a PH meter and TA.

My other hubbies-passions are small scale farming both kitchen and herb. I have a quarter acre in garlic and other small lot market garden crops. Wood working, both furniture and architectural has always been been a passion as is bread baking which I have been doing since before I can remember being taught by my grandmother. I still use equipment from my great grandmothers bakery in Montpelier VT. I think my baking has always drawn me to cheese making.

I hope I will be able to contribute what small amount of knowledge I have gained to date and learn from all the great contributions and wealth of knowledge on the forum

Cheers, Steve

mtncheesemaker

Re: Greeteings from Groton MA
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »
Welcome, Steve. This is a fabulous place to learn and share.
Who knew there were so many closet cheesemakers out there!
Sounds like you live in a good community with local milk available. I feel lucky to have access to fresh milk myself and am indebted to the people willing to keep animals.
Cheers,
Pam

Tea

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 08:38:51 PM »
Good morning Steve and welcome to the forum.

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 08:55:52 PM »
welcome Steve. So your from the sub capitol of the US? Glad to hear that you have access to fresh milk...it's the best.

swh

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 09:45:19 PM »
Zeneth1,

Nope, that Groton is in CT. I'm about 40 miles NW of Boston, almost on the NH border. Thus my somewhat easirer access to raw milk in the more enlightened laws of NH.

Cheers, Steve

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 02:21:34 AM »
Welcome Steve -

I am next door to you in CT. In fact I work at the Submarine capital of the world. Sounds like you have an ideal situation there for cheese making.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 03:57:32 AM »
Howdy and welcome Steve, I think you are the first one in Massachusetts, USA, so I just added that US State to our list of members locations!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 04:03:43 AM »
Hey Giovanni! You have two from Connecticut now ... we don't count?  :'(

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 04:09:09 AM »
Debi, oops, sorry, how could I have missed you ;D. Just added to that list!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 03:54:06 AM »
I guess I am just forgetable .... :-\

Can't be because I don't post enough I try to acknowledge every poster.  :o