Author Topic: Wayne's Parm122809  (Read 11459 times)

wharris

Re: Wayne's Parm122809
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
Flu is still lingering.   But its down to a persistant cough. The good news is that I'm getting strength back.

The last 24 gallons of 2% will have to be tossed. That sucks so bad. 

No prob linking the vid.

FarmerJd

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 03:08:20 PM »
Wayne, I just read this thread and am sorry you are having such a rough time. I hope you recover soon. If you were close enough I would love to replace the milk for you just so we could all watch another video. :)  Tea's comment about the thermo culture and temp of 104 is classic. Anything over 104 is getting critical for meso bacteria and people. Hang in there.
I really wonder how long it takes to get the milk from cow to store in most places.

Alex

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 04:16:36 PM »
I really wonder how long it takes to get the milk from cow to store in most places.

In my country - Israel, milk and it's products are in stores and supermarkets within 3-6 days since milking the cows.

Tea

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 08:44:08 PM »
Well Wayne glad to hear the you are well on the mend, though a shame about the milk.

Well just a couple of questions if I may.   I noticed that you use your culture in a direct vat set. I was under the impression that the cultures took 12-15 hours to start working, which was why they had to be prepared the night before.  You then say, "leave and let them do their thing", so how long do you leave in cultures in the milk before proceeding to the next step?

Also I noticed that you diluted the rennet at much more than 10 times.  Is there a reason why you do this also?

wharris

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 09:25:08 PM »
DVI:
I never knew about the night before thing with the DVI.  Will have to look into that.

Rennet:
I use the rennet from Diary Connection.
the directions suggest a dillution rate of 40 times the volume of rennet.
So, at that rate, with 18.5ml of rennet needed, i needed 740ml of distilled water.

linuxboy

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 09:31:34 PM »
Tea, I've never heard that before. Curious about where you read it. Everything I've read and tested suggests that DVI culture rehydrates and becomes active in 30-60 minutes.

Oude Kaas

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 03:34:16 AM »
Hence direct

Tea

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 09:04:52 PM »
Oude Kaas, yes I realize that it is direct which is why I have been confused by this term.

So I went back to my books, and I think I have found the problem.    At the beginning of the book is a section on how to culture the starters ready for use.  They say, "if you are preparing your own starters, .... until the milk curdles (12-20 hours)."  This was for a Type A culture.   Then it has a graph showing how the starters can be used  and states, "Is the DVS suitable for adding directly into the milk, ... yes... is the volume less than 20 ltr ... yes ... prepare you own liquid starter, and incubate.", which is were I got the idea that the starters had to be incubated first before they could be used.

This is what I read when I was first starting out, and understanding very little about the process.  My mistake is in not going back over this, and realizing that it is only talking about small quantities of milk being used, and the impracticality of trying to measure out the correct amount of starter for small batches.  I have since read where when used directly into the milk, wait 30-40 mins for the starter to become active.

So while I am only doing small batches I am assuming that it is still better for me to incubate the starters?

My apologies Gentlemen for the misunderstanding.

wharris

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 01:48:48 AM »
I cracked this this weekend.  Why?
It was an experinment.  I only wanted to see what the inside looked like.
It was very hard and much like you would expect a parm to look like. The rind was hard and solidly formed.
It had swollen slightly.  (is that normal?)

More importantly, the taste was of a oh-so slightly creamy, parmesan.
A bit more moisture than a noramal parm.
Other than that, it was really good.

After only 6 weeks.  I was amazed at how good it tasted.  So good in fact, this wheel is now gone.  It has been completely cut up and distributed to the neighbors..

I've heard that it went into parm shrimp, Vodka pasta, and loads of spaghetti.
Anyway,  It turned out...

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:06:46 AM by Wayne Harris »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 04:05:51 AM »
Wayne it looks really good! I think you got it knocked! I don't think I've ever had one swell they usually shrink but as it is only 6 weeks old maybe it looked swolen because the sides were drawing in as the are thinner and dry faster. In any case great job!

cmharris6002

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 10:30:57 AM »
Nice looking cheese! I'm glad to hear the flavor was good after only 6 weeks.

MrsKK

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 03:46:34 PM »
Nice!  I never would have thought that the flavor would develop so quickly.

wharris

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 07:41:55 PM »
Well, its good flavor,  Its just not a mature flavor.
There is no subtle nutty flavor to this. 
This is a young, immature, pungent parmesan that has not yet developed the complexity that only comes with time on the shelf.

But still.  dang tasty.  Worth eatin...

jackdag

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 10:33:32 PM »
I wayne great video, where u get ur wristh, i love that

wharris

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 11:48:47 AM »
I wayne great video, where u get ur wristh, i love that

Thanks.   But I'm not sure what you are asking.
Sorry