Author Topic: Milk, Human Breast - Serious Question  (Read 7332 times)

Tea

Re: Milk, Human Breast - Serious Question
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 09:11:04 PM »
Did he say why it wouldn't work?

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 09:40:46 PM »
I am entering late in the discussion and I can't say this "crazy" idea didn't pass from my mind but I can't even find a good source of raw/fresh cow milk let alone mother's milk  :) and the kids are already passed that state. I appreciate the effort though in the name of providing cheese to lactoz intolerant babies.

Now, I believe mother's milk would be somewhat equal to goat's milk as goat's milk has these smaller fat globules which are digested easily than the cow's. People who can't drink cow's milk are using goat's.

As goats milk gives a more fragile curd like the mother's milk even with the added CaCl2 and milk powder, I think it is fair to say that mother's milk should be handled like goats milk. Maybe even mixed with goat's milk would give a better cheese but lactoz comes into question here for intolerant people/babies.

The protein powder used may also be selected as pea protein isolate powder so that lactoz intolerant people can consume this cheese.

Also "iron" which is in cow's milk does not exist in mother's milk. I am not sure how this affects the coagulation but it is one of those things that is missing in the mother's milk.

hplace

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 10:04:23 PM »
I believe the instructor said that human milk will not coagulate to form a curd.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 11:31:30 PM »
There is no lactose intolerance with raw milk.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 11:45:12 PM »
Thanks Sailor, I didn't know that. Does loactose become intolerable after homogenising and pasturising processes?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 12:49:44 AM »
That's true Sailor I found that out first hand with my adopted son ( by sons best friend) he was latose intolerant all his life but he can eat my raw milk cheese and drink the milk I get from the farm.

Tea

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 03:10:23 AM »
From what I can understand, it is the homogenisation process that causes the intolerance.

MrsKK

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 02:46:53 PM »
Lactase is the enzyme that digests lactose - the sugar in milk.  Lactase is killed off by the pasturization process, as it can't tolerate high heat.

When we are young, our bodies produce enough lactase to digest milk properly, but many adults no longer produce enough, thus are lactose intolerant.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 11:03:18 PM »
Thanks Karen,

There you go, I learnt something new today to from this forum...

Likesspace

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 03:09:36 AM »
"But I can't even find a good source of raw/fresh cow milk let alone mother's milk"

Gurkan......THAT CRACKED ME UP!
Great line!!

Dave

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 03:25:41 AM »
Dave, lol  ;D

It is another trouble to get raw milk here, not even herd share is available in Canberra, it is illegal to sell/advertise raw milk, the only available one sold as a beauty product to bath in it and there is no farm close enough to get some.

If I have enough land, I would get some cows or sheeps, quit my job, and become an artisan cheesery (I still need a lot of knowledge though)  ::)

iratherfly

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 08:30:25 AM »
Didn't Borat's wife made some?  :P
There should be a thread here about strange milk cheeses. I reently heard of a Camel's milk cheese that is made in Germany of all places. I always wanted to know if anyone ever made cheese out of a sea mammal's milk.

Seriously now; I don't think that you can create a fodmula for human milk cheese based on experimentation with supermarket baby milk. They are entirely different in composition, enzymes, minerals, bacterias and protein strains. Moreover, human milk changes according to the time of day and stage of the entire breastfeeding period.  Additionally, being omnivores and eating a modern diet of non-regional plant, fungi, animal and processed/synthetic food ingredients - there are way too many factors here that can be wrong.  I would think the best bet would be to try and make yogurt or kefir out of it. This will also bring it up to safe high temperature. You would still need CalCl.

cath s

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 07:12:31 PM »
There is no lactose intolerance with raw milk.
Sailor, my son is lactose intolerant and we only drink raw milk....

And I see Debi has found the same experience as you sailor...hmmm.....
We do not pasteurise either, its taken straight from our milk vat.

Thks for that - maybe he is misdiagnosed...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:41:11 PM by cath s »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 10:27:43 PM »
Well Cath there's an exception to everything but it seems to have worked for two people I know so far.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 12:58:08 AM »
I've never heard of anyone showing lactose intolerance to raw milk. Google will point you to lots of sources regarding "lactose intolerance misdiagnosis".

Misdiagnosed in this case is a circular argument. If someone is truly lactose intolerant, how can they drink raw milk, which is loaded with lactose, and not have problems??? A more accurate diagnosis might be "store bought, processed milk intolerance".

Just curious whether or not your son is intolerant to homemade cheese, especially fresh cheeses. Can he tolerate Mozzarella?