Author Topic: Milk, Human Breast - Serious Question  (Read 7304 times)

cath s

Re: Milk, Human Breast - Serious Question
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 04:20:27 AM »
sailor,
My doctor has told me it is lactose intolerance, but my son has never been formally tested, so maybe it is a case of misdiagnosis. 
BUT certainly he cannot tolerate milk - raw milk included.
He is OK with any thing else, to a degree (cheeses, yoghurt etc) but can only have them in small quantities.
Its like the overflowing cup - if the cup is half full he can have some but if the cup is full - no.
It is not an allergy, solely because he can tolerate a small amount.

I am thinking misdiagnosis from what you say, but I dont know what it could be.  Never bothered with formal testing.  We know and he knows what he can and cannot tolerate.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 04:34:05 AM »
Ironically, if he can't handle raw milk he may actually have a rare case of true lactose intolerance. GPs and Family Practice folks can often be too quick to diagnose things like this without all the facts. However, a "diagnosis" doesn't really change how you manage the situation. The fact that he can handle some milk doesn't fit the classic clinical profile. How old is your son? Sometimes kids grow out of these kinds of reactions.

cath s

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 04:42:52 AM »
he is 10 and is actually getting worse rather than better.
The level of 'tolerance' is getting smaller.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 05:16:32 AM »
I'd get a second opinion so you know for sure what you are dealing with.

MrsKK

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »
Since his tolerance level is getting lower, I would say he has true lactose intolerance.  As a human ages, they produce less and less lactase.  It sounds like he is just about bottoming out.

cath s

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 10:21:35 PM »
cheers you two for your thoughts...
funny huh - live on a dairy farm with something like 7000 litres of milk available a day and my son cant touch it - lol....

padams

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 12:19:42 AM »
I really found this discussion fascinating for two reasons.....I experiment with just about anything edible, and the mini-thread on lactose intolerance.  My own experience....I grew up on a dairy farm, drinking milk straight from the tank.  it was not until I moved away from home to the big city that I developed intolerance.  It peaked when I was about 28.  Now, I just get very gassy (sorry for the tmi, but i thought it might be relevant).  I have a younger brother who couldn't even handle goat's milk as a baby.  he has no problems now, except similar to mine.....
So, thanks for the great read, I really hope you suceed with your cheese, and Cath, I hope your son gets better and maybe this will give you a little light!

wharris

padams

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 04:15:17 PM »
I saw that last night, too Wayne, and immediatly thought of this thread!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »
I can't imagine how that's legal.