Author Topic: Salt - Density & Grain Sizes Compared  (Read 7429 times)

captaincurd

Salt - Density & Grain Sizes Compared
« on: February 24, 2010, 02:36:31 AM »
I read some posts from people wanting to know how to compare different kinds of salt.
The following may be useful  -
                                                      Density of the salt                     (microns)
Type of salt                               lbs/cu.ft              g/ml                    crystal size

Morton
Top Flake Coarse                       57-61                .91-.98                       870

Top flake Topping                      60-64                 .96-1.03                     550

Top flake Fine                            62-69                .98-.110                      370

Cargill/Alberger
coarse topping                           33-41

Alberger flake                             44-48

Alberger special flake                 45-54

Diamond crystal kosher              33-41

alberger fine                               44-83

alberger fine flake                       51-57

I hope this helps someone.  It showed me the importance of measuring by weight when possible.
source: Morton/Cargill

wharris

Re: Salt - Density & Grain Sizes Compared
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:10:14 AM »
Good Post.

I'm still looking to source some non-iodized flaked salt. All I can seem to get it small boxes of it at the grocery store..

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:06:36 AM »
Wayne, maybe someone up by the lake makes some food grade flake salt? I mean, they mine thousands of tons of the stuff up there.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 11:15:08 AM »
Cleveland does actively mine a huge salt deposit. 
But that does not seem to translate to finding what i need at Sam's or Costco.

Maybe i need to find a local factory outlet for Mortons...
:)

captaincurd

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:23:57 AM »
If you are near a city try a bakery supply wholesaler, you might need to get 50 lbs, but salt is pretty cheap

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 04:12:08 AM »
Wayne I believe Dairy Connections Sells flaked salt. Yes they do! I thought I bought it there.

Here

They sell thing in the commercial end they don't sell in the hobby section too. I saw a lot of stuff when they toured me around not on the hobby site. Hobby is just for smaller packages.

wharris

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 02:32:40 PM »
Just seems counter intuitive to sit directly on top of one the worlds largest salt deposits, and then pay shipping to have salt shipped in from Wisconsin.
:(

Kinda like living in Napa Valley Ca., and ordering grapes to be trucked in from Washington state

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 03:16:43 PM »
Did you try Cargill? 2400 Ships Channel (216) 651-7200.

Or see if GFS in Strongsville has it in stock or will order it for you. They carry other Cargill products. It's just up the street, I think same spot where the old Home Depot used to be years ago. :)

8789 Pearl Rd.
Strongsville, OH 44136
440-243-5749
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:06:44 AM by linuxboy »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:54:45 PM »
When I was staitioned in Hawaii we I lived next door to the sugar mill (awful smell but cheap rent) and we had to have sugar shipped in from Calfifornia

Wolfgang

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 12:37:07 AM »
I have been using "Morton's Pickling Salt" with excellent results.  It is produced to dissolve quickly for making pickling brine.  Inadvertently it works with cheese and costs about $1 per pound.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 05:09:05 AM »
I have been using "Morton's Pickling Salt" with excellent results.  It is produced to dissolve quickly for making pickling brine.  Inadvertently it works with cheese and costs about $1 per pound.

I picked up a bunch of that at seasons end really cheap at WalMart it does disolve almost as fast as it hits the water.