Author Topic: Chocolate  (Read 5418 times)

driekus

Chocolate
« on: December 30, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
Has anyone here ever tried to use chocolate in cheese making? Like adding chocolate pellets when pouring the curds. I was thinking of giving it a shot.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Chocolate
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 04:14:29 AM »
I have eatten chocolate cheese fudge from Wisconsin. I have a pciture of it here somewhere. I post another one but we ate it already and I lost the picture.

Likesspace

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:02:54 PM »
Or how about using chocolate milk to make cheese?
I wonder if it would work and I wonder if it would be any good if it did?
Hmmmm...

deb415611

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 11:06:03 PM »
Or how about using chocolate milk to make cheese?
I wonder if it would work and I wonder if it would be any good if it did?
Hmmmm...

I have wondered that also,  I get an incredible chocolate milk from a local farm.   I was thinking about using a cream cheese or mascarpone recipe.  If it's good it could be a great base for a dessert. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:21:45 AM »
Here is a package of Wisconsin Dairy Fudge (Cheese) and this list of ingredients.:

Likesspace

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:07:47 AM »
Deb,
I think you might have a fantastic idea there....
I think I might just give cream cheese a try using a single gallon of chocolate milk just to see what happens. I mentioned it to my kids tonight and of course they are ALL for the experiment.
I have no idea if it will work, but it does sound interesting. I might just give this a try tomorrow evening if I can find the time.
Thanks for the idea. When I do get around to it I'll post my results in this thread.

Debi.....
It looks to me as if the cheese fudge is a processed style of cheese. I'd imagine that they do a blend of cheddar and walnut fudge to make this.
Honestly it doesn't matter to me how it's made....it sounds delicious. Of course I do have this little thing about chocolate.....

Dave

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 02:31:22 AM »
I can tell you that cream cheese and Nestles Quick is good I make my chocolate canolies that way. Just use less confectionary sugar because Quick has a lot of sugar! I also add chopped white chocolate chips or almond bark and pistachios for contrast.

Foodieguy

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 01:43:46 AM »
As much as I try, I can not find anything that does not compliment Chocolate.

I would be interested in seeing how the use of chocolate milk works. Most retail chocolate milk is made when the whole milk on the shelf is about to expire. You might run into issues with setting up.
If I may make a suggestion...try fresh milk and add coco powder to it. The non-sweetened kind. Your enzymes in the milk should be fresh and you will get better results.

:)

padams

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 02:00:13 AM »
I thought "chocolate cheese" was just an idea mark mothersbaugh came up with for "rugrats"...I had no idea it was real!!!  My local dairy (where I get my raw milk) also makes a fantastic chocolate milk...that would be interesting to try cream cheese!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:07:19 AM by padams »

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 01:26:14 PM »
There is a thread on Chocolate American Neufchatel in the soft cheese board.  John made a batch using store bought chocolate milk and I made some using raw milk and cocoa.  I think we both had good results.

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 02:32:50 PM »
Thanks Mrs KK, your work log thread is here and mine is here.

MrsKK

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
Thanks, John.  I still haven't figured out how to make the links so pretty - mostly because I've been too lazy to read up on how to do it!