Author Topic: Danisco's Choozit MA4000 Series Mesophilic Starter Cultures - Differences?  (Read 8749 times)

RadioFlyer

I was trying to find one place where I could order everything I wanted but because of the price differences, I'll be ordering from several but I'm trying to keep shipping to a minimum.
My question is, is there any or much difference between MA4000, MA4000-4001, and MA4001-4002 starters? I want something that will make Cheddar, Brie, Camembert, and Havarti. Maybe Provalone too.
Thank you and Happy New Year!!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Keep in mind for every place you order you will be paying a minimum shipping charge of about $6-$8. So saving a few dollars for one or two items could cost you in the long run. Especially when thing like cultures are no bigger than a packet of yeast.

http://www.leeners.com/cheese.html - these people are in Northfield Ohio.

As far as the cultures go. Any of those should work but some people prefer to use different cultures for different cheeses. If I remember right the MA 4000 series is a quick acidifier.  I would check some of the threads for the cheeses you are intersted in and see what types others have used and the effect it produced.

FRANCOIS

It will work for brie and cam, but you will pull your hair out over the texture inconsistences.  MM100 (or similar) is best for ripened and soft cheeses.

Cheese Head

RF, I built a simple info webpage on the different manufactured cultures I could find.

I've found the online web based cheese making supply house's websites a good albeit simple source for which manufactured cultures work best for which cheeses. You could also look in manufacturer CHR Hansen's cheese making guides for their starter cultures.

On MA 4001 & MA 4002 (I haven't heard of a 4000), my understanding is they were originally manufactured by Rhodia under their Ezal product line name, that Ezal was bought out by Danisco in 2004, and that Danisco continues to manufacture that line under their Choozit product line. I've looked at the Dansico's Product Data Sheets for MA 4001 and for 4002 on Fromagex (in French) and can't see any difference. So maybe they are just different generations?

Oude Kaas

MA4001 and MA4002 are the same culture. They are used in rotation to prevent bacteriophage attacks on the culture in large facilities which only use one culture.

Cheese Head

Thanks Old Cheese!

So while they have the same 4 types of bacteria as ingredients, presumably they are slightly different variations on those bacteria and thus when rotated reduce the chance of phage?

Thanks, John.

Oude Kaas

Correct, phages are extremely strain specific.
Other Choozit cultures have rotatiing strains as well: MM100/101, TA060/62 etc.