Author Topic: Gouda made on 12-18-2009  (Read 19890 times)

Likesspace

Gouda made on 12-18-2009
« on: January 02, 2010, 12:45:39 AM »
Hi guys.....
For the past month or so I've been trying to perfect a Gouda recipe, that would turn out the type of cheese that I want my own Goudas to be.
This is my own recipe that is a mixture of several different pieces of information I've gathered from the internet.
One thing that I found while making this recipe is that each recipe differs from one another and that in some cases they differ drastically. I've tried all of them individually and was never completely happy with the results.
This particular Gouda was made on 12-18-2009 and it is by far the best example of this cheese that I've made to date.
I did make one batch previous to this one but it....well, quite literally sucked mostly due to the fact that I wasn't paying attention and used MA starter culture instead of MM100 (HUGE MISTAKE).
Anyway, this batch did turn out as planned.
The cheese is nice and soft, nice and pliable and has just a hint of sharpness at two weeks old. Of course the flavor hasn't developed just yet, but the Gouda flavor is definitely there. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one progresses over the next couple of months.
Just as it seems to be with every cheese, Ph is the key to this one.
All of my previous batches had a somewhat crumbly texture and a sharpness (that bordered on bitter) right out of the mold.
Since I am focusing on hitting my Ph markers, I feel that I am finally getting a handle on this variety of cheese, as well as a few others. This makes me happy. :-)
Anyway, here are a couple of pics of the sample wedge I sliced out of a 4.5 lb. wheel. I can't wait to see what this one will become with another month or two of aging.

Dave

Likesspace

Re: Gouda made on 12-18-2009
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:49:41 AM »
Oh......
I honestly don't know of the holes in the wedge are actual "eyes" or if these are mechanical openings.
I know they do not have a nice round appearance,  but I've also seen these same types of openings in some of my "failed" swiss attempts.
I know that a properly made Gouda should have a few eyes but I really don't know if they should be round or if they look like the ones in the photographs. If anyone has any insight I'd love to hear your input.

Dave

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 04:56:44 AM »
Dave

IMHO those are eyes. They are fairly evenly spaced and round for the most part. Most mechanical openings are irregular and randomly distributed. I think this cheese is a winner! Congrats!

Baby Chee

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:59:34 AM »
This cheese is only two weeks old?

Zinger

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 01:50:07 PM »
Dave,

Really nice, would you consider posting your recipe?

Zinger

Likesspace

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »
Debi, thanks for the encouraging words. I am happy with this one.

Chee....yep, two weeks old yesterday. As I said I'm really looking forward to cracking this again in another month or so. In the meantime I have a quarter wheel to nibble on and I'm trying to nibble slowly so I can check the aging process over the next few weeks.

Zinger, I'm more than happy to post the recipe. It is pretty much built around Ph markers so I'm afraid that it will really only benefit those that use a Ph meter. I hope this recipe works well for you, if you decide to give it a try.
Here it is:

Gouda

Ingredients:
4 Gallon Whole Milk
1/4 tsp. MM100 Culture
2 tsp Calcium Chloride mixed in ¼ cup distilled water
1/16 tsp Annatto mixed in ¼ cup distilled water
3/4 tsp liquid veal rennet dissolved in ¼ cup distilled water

Process:
Heat milk to 86 degrees
Add colorant and mix well
Add MM100 culture and float for 2 minutes
Stir in culture using 25 up and down strokes
Allow milk to ripen for 5 minutes
Add Calcium Chloride
5 minutes later add Rennet and stir for 1 minute
Check for flocculation and use multiplier of 3 to determine time to cut
Check for clean break and cut to 3/8”
Heal curd for 5 minutes
Gently stir curd for approx. 20 minutes while checking Ph.
During this time heat pot of water to 130 degrees on stove.
You are looking for a whey Ph of 6.4 to 6.45 before moving to next step

At Ph 6.4 – 6.45 Drain 5 cups of whey and replace with 5 cups of 130 degree water.
Wait 5 minutes and Drain 6 cups of whey and replace with 6 cups of 130 degree water.
Wait 5 minutes and drain 6 cups of whey and replace with 6 cups of 130 degree water.
You will have drained the whey 3 times at the end of this process.
Whey temp should be at 100 – 102 degrees at this point.
If not at 100 – 102 heat the curds and whey to this temperature.
Continue to stir for 20 minutes after 102 is reached. Only stir occasionally.
Allow curd to settle for 5 minutes.
Drain whey to 2 inches above the curd mass.
Press curd under whey for 10 minutes using approx. 8 lbs. Of weight.
Drain whey very well before putting into hoop.
Break up curd mass to fit in cloth lined hoop and use the following to press:
30 minutes at 2 p.s.i.
30 minutes at 4 p.s.i.
Approximately 3 hours at 4 p.s.i. or until whey Ph reaches 5.6 – 5.7 (curd Ph = 5.4 – 5.5)

**NOTE**
WHEY PH SHOULD BE 5.6 – 5.7 AT END OF PRESSING!!

Remove from press and float wheel in a saturated brine solution for 3 – 4 hours PER POUND of cheese. (first attempt required 16 hour brine time using 4 hr. per pound).
Age cheese for 2 weeks – 2 months before consuming.
Vacuum bag cheese after air drying for 1 – 3 days or until dry to the touch.

Zinger

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 09:04:19 PM »
Dave, I will try the recipe, thanks for posting. I recently started using a ph meter and so I am eager to start using recipes that are gudied by ph markers. Do you know what your ph was at the time of curd cut?
Zinger

Likesspace

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 09:53:11 PM »
Zinger,
On this particular cheese the Ph reading at cut was 6.43.
Honestly, that seems a little low since I show draining and washing right on schedule but that is what I have on my making record.
I have noticed that MM100 is a slow adcidifier so that reading is probably right. The most important point to hit is at beginning of wash and at end of press. I really feel that if you hit these two markers you will be happy with the final result.
Of course now that I've made this recipe twice, (and have only seen one sample of the cheese it turns out), I am now an expert on the subject.  ;D
Honestly, I hope it works for you. I'm going to be making this one again next weekend along with a stirred cheddar.

Dave

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »
Dave want I want to know is ...

How do you slice your cheese so thin? Mine always sticks to the knife. I even bought one of the knives with the holes in it and it still sticks.   >:(

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 11:41:30 PM »
Dave - Good job and a great way to start the new year! I am curious about your ripening time...very short. Did you arrive at that by experimentation or some other clue? I am one of those folks plagued by crumbly, sour cheese and I am pursuing strategies for correcting that problem. An extremely short ripening period looks to be in my future. I did that with my Edam and it was not dry, crumbly, and sour. Your example encourages me.

Debi - I use a cheese wire to slice my cheeses thin. Thanks to Wayne, I'll be making a wheel-slicing wire.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Baby Chee

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »
My goudas were all quite flakey and odd under 3 weeks old.  I found 4 weeks was the start of good-enough 4 gallon Gouda.
I'm waiting patiently for Wednesday when my giant gouda reaches 7 weeks, then I open.

Likesspace

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 01:17:40 AM »
Boofer..
The short ripening time did come from experimentation. 
There was one recipe on the internet that called for adding rennet at the same time as the culture and others varied widely.
I figured that since my cheese always had a crumbly texture that I was producing too much acid. I then began to play around with the ripening times to see if I could figure out where I needed to be.
Although this is the first year that I've tried making my own recipe I've been playing with this aspect of the recipe for a while. Knowing, (guessing), that acid was my problem I just kept shortening the ripening time from one batch to the next. I honestly can't say that I saw much improvement but I also was not keeping an eye on Ph readings throughout the make since I just purchased a meter last year. Once I did start using my meter during the entire make I feel that the quality of the cheese has improved drastically.
Mainly I look for any drop in my Ph reading. The recipe says a total of 10 minutes ripening but as long as I see a drop I know I'm good to go. This does almost always occur at the 10 minute mark but I'm not saying that this is a time period that has to be followed exactly.

Debi.....
I do use a wire to cut my cheeses. I purchased a simple cheese slicer at our local Wal Mart store for something like $10.00. It is setup to cut a 1/4 inch slice but I sometimes will "freehand" the cut if I want a slice to be thinner. In this case I wanted to show the elasticity of the cheese, so I cut it as thin as possible.

Chee....
I've honestly never been satisfied with my Gouda no matter how long I aged them. Some of them had a nice flavor but none had the texture of the Gouda I've purchased in the store. I honestly had given over to the thought that it was impossible for a home cheese maker to produce the texture that is found in store bought cheese.
Well thanks to information found on this forum, (concerning what happens within a cheese, i.e. the science behind the make) I started to re-think everything about making cheese. I'm far from an expert but I do feel that I'm on my way to making some really nice cheese in the future.
What really gets me about this is that I don't know if my family and friends will like the type of Gouda that I'm producing now.
I know my dad always said that he didn't really care for commercial Gouda and thought mine was much better. Well I really expect this cheese to turn into something that is very close to a commercial example so my dad might not care for  it.  :D
Regardless, my goal has always been to produce commercial quality cheese in the home setting and I now feel that I'm getting close to accomplishing this.
I guess I can always make an old style batch for my dad, once in awhile, if he begins to complain. :)

Dave

Likesspace

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 01:24:17 AM »
Oh, and Baby Chee.....
Good luck on your opening on Wednesday! I sincerely hope the cheese turns out for you. I've looked at your post concerning this wheel and it really is a monster!

Dave

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »
Likesspace, thanks for the recipe. You put a lot of effort into this recipe to perfect it. You are my hero. I wouldn't complain a bit when eating this cheese if I had a chance of course.  ::)

I am ordering an IQ125 pH meter soon but will try this recipe with my pH strips once. I am still waiting to use my titratable acidity kit. I might give it a try with your recipe.  A)

Thanks again for the recipe...

Tea

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »
Congrats Dave, isn't it great when something FINALLY turns out where you want it.