Author Topic: Gouda made on 12-18-2009  (Read 19886 times)

wharris

Re: Gouda made on 12-18-2009
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »
You can see my version of using the floating bowl method for checking the flocculation point if you go to my vid.
Fast forward to 3:32

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »
Alex - 16 to 18 minutes is a little long. I would add a little more rennet to get it down to 10-12.

Alex

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »
Wayne, great movie, you deserve the Oscar of ceese-making!!!!!

Sailor, thanks, I know it should be in the range you mention. I'll try to add more rennet next time. mMy rennet might be out of date, it's about 18 month old, obviously stored in the fridge. Theoretically I use same type of milk and starter, may be the flocculation time is affected by temps as well.
I took a cheese making class a few years ago, there I was tought to add 1 tb of vinegar/1 liter of milk, raw, pasteurized or not. I think it has something to do with useing store bought buttermilk and yogurt as starters. I stopped using vinegar when I joined this forum and started to read cheese making books. I didn't found any differences on the outcoming cheeses.

humble_servant7

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »
You can see my version of using the floating bowl method for checking the flocculation point if you go to my vid.
Fast forward to 3:32

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

What an absolutely EXCELLENT VIDEO.

I've just subscribed.

So after you've figured the floccuation point then you must multiply by a number called a "multiplier" correct?

IS there any way of figuring out the multiplier of each and every type of cheese or is it already figured out and written down somewhere?

Oh-- and one last question.. I saw you cut your curds vertically,. but what about horizontally?
And I saw you move the knife around the pot in the sae areas more than just a couple of times. Is this what is called "double-cutting"?
And hat is your general way/technique of cutting curds to get the exact size that you want?

Oh and I was surprised that you didnt even use your ExTech pH meter!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »
Great video. I get a big kick out of that final sot of the big thumbs up!  :D

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 04:46:39 AM »
Deb - are you calling Wayne a "final sot"? A little too much vino Wayne? :o

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 12:55:55 AM »
I think that should clear up any doubts about what the "spinning bowl method" is.

Excellent video. Thanks, Wayne, for your videography.

Sot, huh?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

wharris

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »
Funny related story.
was racking my wine from 2009 about a week ago. ( of course you have to sample, right?)

I had a glass (ok 2) of my wine.  Very young tasting......... 

But my head was spinning after that.  I was a bit puzzled by that.

I measured my Alcohol By Volume in my wine.      15.5%
damn. 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 04:58:15 PM »
15.5% sounds like a GOOD thing.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2010, 02:27:19 AM »
Wow I always thought wine had a lowish ABV. Guess I know less than I thought about wine.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2010, 04:38:44 AM »
Sounds like you've got a fortified wine, Wayne. How's it taste?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

wharris

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2010, 03:52:14 PM »
ITs not really fortified, (well not on purpose),  i just fermented the crap outta it appearently.
It tastes young.  has potential.  Lots of color and boquet.
In 20 months, it will be perfect.  although that gives me plenty of time to ruin it.

OpheliaBlue

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2010, 09:29:20 PM »
Nice looking gouda there, Likesspace.

As for the holes.. when they're not nice, perfectly round swiss-type holes, I thought it was due to improper pressing. Like not enough weight, or not long enough. I did one once that had holes like that when I didn't have enough weights for my little homemade press :P

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 09:50:47 PM »
Gouda is supposed to have a few randomly spaced tiny holes. They tend to migrate near the middle.

Mechcanical holes are usually irregular in shape and spacings and can be anywhere in the cheese. Sometimes they look more like slits than holes.

Likesspace

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2010, 05:05:48 AM »
Hi guys and thanks for all of the response to this thread.
I've been tied up with some family issues for the past month but I have had a chance to sample a few of the Gouda's I've made. Without going into a lot of detail, I am really satisfied with using this recipe.
I will admit that I have not perfected the recipe, (my second attempt was really nice, but not quite as elastic as my first), but the flavor was fantastic. I have to agree with Debi that adding a bit of Flora Danice REALLY makes a difference in the final product.
I would address all of the questions and comments that have been made, (since I last posted), but I feel that they have already been addressed by others who know more than I do about making cheese.
Suffice it to say that if you follow their advice a good quality cheese is in your future. I really love the flavor and the texture of a well made Gouda, and this one has been a major hit with everyone that has sampled it.
OpheliaBlue....
Thanks for the pressing advice. I think I'll try moving up to a higher p.s.i. on this cheese, on my next batch, just to see what happens.
Hope everyone is having a great week.

Dave