Author Topic: Gouda made on 12-18-2009  (Read 19892 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Gouda made on 12-18-2009
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »
Flocculation is a method to standardize your results, but the multiplier is variable depending on the cheese. So yes, if you are using a multiplier of 3 then 15 x 3 = 45 minutes to curd cut. That is total from the time you add rennet.

You can adjust that multiplier for different types of cheese or to suit your preferences. In general, a smaller multiplier will end up with a drier cheese. A larger multiplier will end up with a moister cheese. This happens because curds that have set longer will retain more moisture. So, you could use a 3.5 multiplier and get a moister Gouda.

bmckee561

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »
Thanks Sailor!  The gouda spent a few days in the cheese cave and last night, I removed it, cut it in half and vacuum sealed both pieces.  I was pleased to note that the texture of the cheese was quite similar to what I am used to seeing in a gouda.  The rind was harder than the interior and there were no signs of any mold at all.  Unfortunetly, I did not sample the cheese as I wanted to retain the halved pieces until Christmas when my son returns home for the Holiday.  I know it will not be aged sufficiently, but I plan on sampling it at that time.

I am going to do another batch of gouda on Monday and will increase the timing and reduce the rennet to achieve (hopefully) a better result.

Salute!   :D

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2010, 04:34:49 PM »
You should wait until you are actually going to use them before you divide up a cheese. Larger wheels will age better.

bmckee561

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2010, 05:21:39 PM »
Impatience on my part.  I thought after wine and beer making at home that I had developed the ability to control that, but I guess I was wrong.  I will age before cutting in the future.

Thanks.

bmckee561

« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2010, 05:57:03 AM »
I mentioned earlier that my curds did not settle well and that concerned me a bit.  After some research I came across this information:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese.html

If the curds float, you have a gas-producing contaminant in your starter or your milk was contaminated. You need to pay closer attention to handling your milk, and/or purchase fresh starter. The bacteria which form bubbles may be a form of Escherichia. However, it does not necessarily ruin the cheese, but does make it iffy. Many CO2 formers are non-pathogenic.   Indeed, you might WANT bubbles in your finished cheese. Think about Swiss cheese... However, to be safe, age your cheese for at least two months because pathogens do not survive this extended aging. In addition, you will have a little more difficulty separating the curds from the whey if the curds float.

Does this sound like good information to you all.  My cheese did not exhibit any large gas pockets that I am aware of, but maybe they will develop after an extended period of aging.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2010, 06:21:02 AM »
I find that statement full of errors and omissions. A short ripening time is not long enough for gas producers to have any visible effects. It is more likely that floating curds contain trapped butterfat and remain lighter than the whey.

bmckee561

« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2010, 01:25:38 PM »
How would you go about releasing trapped butter fats? Would that be due to improper procedures of some sort?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »
No, it's perfectly normal for some curds to contain more butterfat, especially if you are using a raw or unskimmed milk. Constant stirring helps a lot.