Author Topic: Thermometer - Cheap Analog  (Read 3075 times)

Quesa

Thermometer - Cheap Analog
« on: January 05, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »
My thermometer came included in a cheese kit, but it was sold separately for $12.95.  It's a regular dial Weiss, and so far has worked fine.

This past weekend I was checking stuff over at Sam's Club, and I found TWO of these same type thermometers (Cooper brand) for $5.24.

This comes to about $2.62 per thermometer.

This is a good bargain, I think. The readout is from 0 degrees to 220, btw.

I'm sending one of these to my sister, who I'm trying to corrupt by introducing her to cheese making.

>:D

wharris

Re: Thermometer - Cheap Analog
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:15:26 PM »
I would suggest getting one you trust.  I'm not sure what that means, cuz I think that may mean different things to different people.

But there is nothing worse than the gut-ripping feeling of suddenly realizing, ( or merely suspecting) that you may be 10deg off.

I have settled on a cheapo digital one that i have checked on a number of occasions and now trust.

Also, I would suggest having a stand-by.   I have broken thermometers mid-batch.    (then what?)
Just my .02USD
:)

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:51:49 PM »
Yes, as Wayne said a backup is always usefull. Also make sure it can be calibrated. I also need one...

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 12:29:19 AM »
Great advice on the necessity of calibration, Gurkan....
I own two Taylor thermometers (one digital and one analog) and didn't know the analog could be calibrated until just a few weeks ago (Thanks Debi).
I now check and calibrate my thermometer, just as I do my Ph meter, before every use. It only takes a couple of minutes to do and now I can be assured that my temps are what they should be.

Dave

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 01:16:36 AM »
I have an old Taylor I melted the face on (I left it hanging out of a chicken in the sliker and ran to answer the phone) and it still calibrates perfectly everytime.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 01:37:11 AM »
Thanks Dave, I didn't know either till I got a thermometer from an antique shop here. I ordered an analog hygrometer and thermometer and the shop owner said he will calibrate them before giving them to me. They also need calibration every 6 months or so especially hygrometer.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 01:39:14 AM »
6 months seems like an awfully long time for things that are so temperature and humidty critical.

Quesa

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 02:00:25 AM »
Yes, there are instructions on the package to calibrate them, mainly submerging in ice/water and setting at 32 degrees.

I believed that once you calibrate them they should be fine forever, now I know better, to do it every few months or more regularly.

Thanks.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 03:02:17 AM »
Yeah I aggree Debi. We need precise measurements for our gems in the cave...

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 03:07:57 PM »
Queso,
I just bought the same thermometers this past week.  I like it that they are easy to calibrate and, though inexpensive, it is always good to have a back up.

Quesa

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 02:12:14 AM »
Aye! Aye! Mrs. K. Great buy! Though they are not too fancy, they still do what they are supposed to.

Now, if they only had PH meters...

:-\

Likesspace

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 02:29:03 AM »
Quesa.....
I've used a Hanna checker Ph meter for the past two years and I really have nothing bad at all to say about it. It has served me very well and I paid $28.00 for it shipped.
Go on Ebay and search Hanna Ph meter and you will get several different vendors to choose from. Simply pick the lowest price with the highest rating and you should be set to go.
I did recently break down and purchase an Extech model (of course it came in damaged so I'm waiting for a replacement), but the Hanna does serve it's purpose.
I plan on using it for wine making and the Extech for cheese making.
Hope this helps and good find on the thermometers.

Dave