Author Topic: Cheesemakers Unite!  (Read 6680 times)

Alex

Re: Cheesemakers Unite!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »
As for the drunken goat--followed the recipe on this site for Cabre al Vino and utilized Spanish wine. The only modification I had was to soak in the wine at 3 separate intervals of soaking for 12 hours and then removing from wine and letting set at 70 degrees for 12 hours and then soaking again. It was a method I learned when researching the origin of Drunkin Goat

Brie, your description is exactly the procedure for making Cabre al Vino. Two basic differences are concerning the Drunken Goat: It is soaked in wine for the first 72 hours and then aged for 75 days. The second is th especial wine used, it's Doble Pasta wine, it means that the wine is made with two batches of black grape skins for each batch of must.

Anyway, your cheese kooks great, I hope it tastes good.

Brie

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 06:53:42 PM »
Thanks, Alex, I read about the Pasta Roble wine, but couldn't find it anywhere, so substituted another Spanish red. Also, in answer to a couple of other questions posted here--the dairy I use has holstein cows. As far as the ash, I learned from a couple of threads in the forum--light dusting mixed with salt and then spray with the P Candidum and geo mixture--no slip skin!

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 10:13:53 PM »
Thanks for the Drunken Goat explanations. There is another cheese in one of the Mediterranean Sea islands which the curds mixed with left over crushed grapes from the wine making process and also kept in grape juice instead of brine. There are a lot of things I wanna try and little time... >:(

Alex

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 06:08:07 PM »
Brie,

You probably couldn't find the Spanish goat's milk neither ;D. That's the fun in making cheese at home, to find the closest substitutes. We'll never be able to reproduce the original. I always define my cheeses as the name + "style".

Gurkan,

There is a bunch of French cheeses, Aromes au Gene de Marc. Ripe cheeses like Rigotte, Saint-Marcelin, Pelardon and Picodon are placed in a barrel or large jar of "marc"for a minimum of one month. The "marc", which consists of the damp skins, pips, and stalks left after the grapes have been pressed, permeates the cheese and flavors it.
There is a Tomme au Marc de Raisin made almost alike.
Another one is the Camembert Affine au Cidre de la Maison, a bloomed Camembert wraped with a cider soaked cloth for 15 days. I made it myself:

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 10:12:58 PM »
Alex, that looks awesome, I want this. the French would crucify me but I can stick a pipe in it and suck the wonderfull flavored cheese. Ohh yeaahh
You made me hungry right after my breakfast.

So what is the recipe?

Brie

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 01:03:58 AM »
Yes, Alex--I would also love the recipe!
Thanks,
Christine

Alex

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 08:59:28 AM »
Another one is the Camembert Affine au Cidre de la Maison, a bloomed Camembert wrapped with a cider soaked cloth for 15 days.

As said above, you have to wrap the cheese with the soaked piece of cloth and watch to keep it wet. About once a day, unwrap the cheese soak the cloth in cider and wrap the cheese again. That's the way I did it. After 14-15 days, keep ageing like an ordinary Camembert. I wish you luck and enjoy the "consequences" :D.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 09:49:06 PM »
Alex wonderful as always! I gotta get around to trying that one of these days.

iratherfly

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 06:43:35 AM »
Alex,
I just got nice white bloom over salted and slightly ashed Camembert de Chévre (day 9). Tonight was wrapping time and move from the wine fridge to the kitchen fridge for aging. Should I do the cider cloth wrapping thing now? Ir was that suppose to happen in the first few days?

Alex

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 06:57:46 AM »
Iratherfly,

It's just on time. I do not move my Camemberts to the regular fridge as it slows down the affinage. Don't forget to soak the cloth/handkerchief before it dries out during the 14-15 days. It will be very interresting to hear about the flavor and taste of a goat Cam with Cider, two dominant ingredients. But, that's part of the fun and advantage in making cheese at home.

Missy Greene

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 09:45:12 PM »
Hi Brie, I  have my first cabra al vino air drying before aging. I used the recipe in the 200 cheese recipes book, she doesn't say anything about washing the rind. Did you wash yours?? and with what % brine? My surface does not look as smooth as yours...
 Thanks , Missy