Author Topic: Cheese Yield Per Unit Of Milk?  (Read 5373 times)

mokumeguy

Cheese Yield Per Unit Of Milk?
« on: September 18, 2008, 05:14:37 PM »
To some of you more experienced cheese makers, how much did your yield increase over time?
My first two cheeses I got 1 lb from 3 gal. My last two I'm now getting 2.5 lb for three gal.

I know I have great quality fresh raw milk, so I think I still have a ways to go.

Tea, you said you also get fresh raw milk. What kind of yield do you get on your pepper cheese?
Have you found it to vary by season? I need to make a batch of that soon, my mouth waters whenever I look at those pics.

Michael

Tea

Re: Cheese Yield Per Unit Of Milk?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:30:56 PM »
Hi Michael, I can't comment on whether my yield has increased as I have gone, as to be truthful I haven't really been weighing my cheeses.  So I have just done a run around weighing some, and some are from memory that I took when I needed to know weight to brine time ratios.

Going on the fact of 1 gallon = 3.8lt approx, I usually make 10lt or 5lt batches.

Pepato's 5lt  =  2 cheeses approx 10oz each.
Monterey Jacks 5lt = 2 cheeses 14oz each
Gouda & caerphilly 10lt = 1 cheese 8" x 2 1/2' approx just over 3lb (1.5kg)each
Camembert 5lt = 4 cheese 8oz each
Fetta 10lt = 6 cheese 1lb each
Last monterey jack (bees wax dipped) 6lt = 1 cheese 2.2lb
Provolone 10lt = 1 cheese 1lb 12oz after drying for two weeks.
Cream cheese 2lt = 1lb 4oz approx

The quality of the milk definately does make a difference to the yield, and sometimes even though there might not be the quantity, the quality is there, so you still get a good yield.  Yes milk does vary from season to season.

Also as you will have noticed, soft cheese give a better yield weight.
HTH

mokumeguy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:24:27 AM »
Wow, thanks for the info.
If I am looking at it correctly you get a much better yield than I do.
You are getting more than 1lb per gallon on all of them except the provolone.
And more than 2lbs per gal on your Fetta! Is that also from cows milk?

What breed of cow does your milk come from and do you know what kind of graze it is getting?

Tea

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:43:42 AM »
I think the cows are fresian (sp?), and off hand I don't know what feed they are on.  I do know that my friend ensures that her milkers are in good health, and if not she will dry them up, rather than milk them.  I will find out for you.

The provolone is interesting, as it has definately lost weight and size with the maturing.  It feels like it is almost half the weight from what it started, and I am anxious to cut it and see what I have got.  Making a 10lt mozz today (same base as for the provolone) so I will weigh that and see what I get.

I can usually tell the quality of the milk by the set that I get, then secondary is the yield.  Sometimes using other milks, I only get 4 maybe five fetta blocks from 10lts.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 03:21:01 AM »
Update on fresh mozz weight, just made;  2lb12oz for 10lt batch.
Will weigh brie when it is out of the mould.

SalMac

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Hi Michael

Last cheese (gouda #7) from 14 l (3.7 gal) after brining 2.462 Kg or 5.43 Lb
Store bought milk, pressed for 5 hours at 40lb pressure

Sal

mokumeguy

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 03:46:12 AM »
I can clearly see that I need to tweek something. My yields don't even come close to the ones you guys get.
I am going to try reducing my rennet and my temps both. Every time I make cheese I get clean break in less than 5 minutes and my curds are always very firm and dry. I never get whey after the first hour of pressing, even at more than 50 lbs.

SalMac

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:57:02 AM »
Hi Michael

I never get a clean break.... Gouda # 7 sat for 2 hours waiting for it to set and I used Calcium Chloride, the milk was bought that day, didnt wobble the pot etc but to no effect. It doesn't seem to matter though?

Sal

Tea

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 09:08:03 PM »
Update on Brie; from 5lt 1lb 9oz cheese.  It seems that I may be getting a better yield than average as even the cheese book that I used states to only expect a 1kg (2lb) brie from a 10lt batch.  It will be interesting to see when summer comes as to whether the yield drops.

Michael I agree with Sal.  5mins to get a firm set  :o  Dependng on the cheese I am doing "set" maybe anywhere between 30min to 1 1/2 hours. I also stir the milk for nearly 3 mins after adding the rennet to ensure an even distribution, something that clearly couldn't be done with your cheese.  If you are using your rennent at the prescribed rate then I would definately be looking at lowering the usage rate.
Temps have more to do with the cultures that are added to the milk, as some work at lower temps than others and will be killed off at higher temps.

mokumeguy

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 02:43:36 PM »
I can only stir in the rennet for about 30 seconds before curd starts forming on the spoon. I have just been using the recommended amount of 1/4 tablet per gal, so 3/4 of a tablet for my 3 gal batches. I think I will take it down to 1/2 tablet. I also just got a bottle of liquid. Maybe I will use that instead.

By lowering the temp, I meant lower the temp at which I cook the curd, so that it doesn't expel so much whey or get so firm.

I am going to make another cheese here in a couple of hours. I will take many notes and photos.

Junglerott

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 03:03:04 PM »
Michael, I have recently made some 3 gallon batches using 2 gallon recipes. I have found that 1/2 tablet in 3 gallons of store bought milk sets just as it would with 2 gallons. It only takes an extra 10 to 20 minutes to get the same quality curds for me.

Tea

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 09:09:26 PM »
Michael, I went and checked a couple of recipes that have been posted here and it does seem that 1/4 tablet for 1 gallon is correct, so it is confusing as to why you are getting such a fast set up.

Most of the cheeses that I make don't require any heating, only being maintained at the original setting temp.  If it does require heating, then it is to change the curd to help form the correct ph or setting of the curd, so I don't think that I would play around with those temps too much.

Try the liquid rennet and see what the difference is, and what your thoughts are.

mokumeguy

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 09:36:55 PM »
While I was setting up to make the next cheese I opened a new baggie of rennet tablets. This one had a little printed sheet in it that said 1/4 tablet was good for two gal. That was not in my last package. I have just been going off what the books say. My bad for not checking further. So this time I tried 1/3 tablet, down from 3/4.
We will know how that worked in about an hour.

Thanks for all the info.

Tea

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 10:13:39 PM »
That seems more like it.  I am wondering if the excess rennent is what the bitter taste is that you can taste in your cheese.  Too much rennent gives a bitter flavour to the cheese.  Will be interesting to see if the flavour also changes.
Keep us informed.

mokumeguy

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 02:32:32 PM »
Too much rennet was the first thing I thought of also. And if my memory is correct I think I actually used a whole tablet in that batch. All that rennet was also concentrated in a tiny cheese! I have a 2.2lb cheddar in the cave that I will open in another couple of weeks and that will make a good comparison. I was very happy with the yield from yesterdays cheddar. And that was with just 1/3 tablet.