Author Topic: book on aging  (Read 1290 times)

StatsMan

book on aging
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:37:27 PM »
Does anyone know of a good book devoted exclusively to cheese aging?  If not an entire book, one that has one or two or even several chapters on the subject.

I am looking for one with a degree of scientific depth, but even one with the basics would be nice.

Hmm, if there aren't any books on the topic, how about the best websites for same?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: book on aging
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:33:49 AM »
There is a booklet put out by the USDA in 1902 called Cold Curing of Cheese that ahs some good information. You can download it here:

http://openlibrary.org/b/OL7033777M/Cold_curing_of_cheese

FRANCOIS

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:19:58 AM »
I saw a french manual on it once, but can't recall the name of it.  I know of no other text on the subject that I would trust.  Maybe over the winter I could write the book I always wanted to (along with my 300 other to-do projects).

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:12:10 PM »
Check out these articles:

Flavor formation by amino acid catabolism,
Flavour formation by lactic acid bacteria and biochemical flavour profiling of cheese products
Flavours of cheese products: metabolic pathways, analytical tools and identification of producing strains.

And similar ones. There's some scatted info in newer books, like the one on cheese rheology, fundamentals of cheese science, and advanced dairy chemistry.

I have read very little information, and even less accurate information on applied microbiology for affinage. I suspect most people are reluctant to share their trade secrets.