Author Topic: Goat Chedddar results  (Read 1256 times)

Zinger

Goat Chedddar results
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:20:41 PM »
I just cut into my first cheddar that I had made with fresh goat's milk, and for a rookie, I am quite pleased. I made this last April and waxed it. About two months ago I took all my cheeses out of the cave and unwaxed them and subsequently vacuum packed all of them. My waxed cheeses were not all that well sealed and had some mold issues.

At any rate, I decided to cut into the goat cheddar and I am pleased. It does have some chalkiness, it is not offensive, but it is a flaw. At that time I was not aware of the importance of ph control, so that may be some of my problem. However, the problem is small and we will enjoy the fruits of my labor on this one.

Also, I was surprised how wet the cheese was inside of the pack - no mold or problems, but wet.

As always, any thoughts are appreciated.

Z

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Goat Chedddar results
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »
Congrats Zinger.

I can't imagine it was still wet but it happens if it's not dry enough. Dry it off and reseal it - it'll be okay.

As for the chalkiness that could be to much calcium clrhide or acidity. All in all it sounds like something to be proud of. Good job!

Zinger

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:09:16 AM »
Actually, I kept some of it out to eat and dried then resealed the rest. The wetness didn't seem to be a problem, I just found it interesting. It was fresh goat milk, so I didn't use any calcum chloride (unless I forgot and screwed up),  so it probably was an acidity issue. Again, this was before I discovered the wisdom of a ph meter.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:10:29 AM »
Well that makes it easier to figure out then. DOn't you love it when your problems are so easy to solve? Life is good!