Author Topic: How Much of a Rind?  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Lennie

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
How Much of a Rind?
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:44:49 AM »
Since the humidity is so low, my farmhouse cheddar is drying out on the outside rather quickly after just 24 hours.  Do I want to leave it out for a full 3 days, or is a dry outer skin enough to move to the next step?  And should I wax it or vacuum seal it in a bag?  It is about a 2lb cheese, I don't mind waiting but I also don't want to lose too much from a thick rind if there's no additional benefit.

zenith1

Re: How Much of a Rind?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:53:23 AM »
Hi Lennie- If the wheel feels totally dry to your touch you can probably move to the next step. I would say for a two pound wheel maybe two days to dry in my experience. Like you mentioned the room humidity really impacts the drying time. As far as where to go from there you can go either waxed or bagged. Your choice, both work. Farmhouse cheddar will age in a short time so  maybe you will want to for go the waxing route.

Offline Lennie

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 01:44:05 AM »
The house is about 35% RH right now so everything dries fast.  Thats with a humidifier going!  Guess the fireplace neutralizes that though.

Thanks for the advice, I have wax and just need to get a cheap pot and bristle brush.  I'll wax it tomorrow night, that'll give it two days to dry.  I'm both anxious and aprehensive about this cheese.  I made it without a pH meter (got one ordered) so my expectations are low.  But my aspirations for the future are still excessively high!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 03:34:52 AM »
I'd go to the cave. If it feel to dry or looks like it's cracking try putting it in a container with the lid loose so it doesn't dry to bad. I can't remember if you had a vacuum sealer but I'd leave it in the fridge a it then seal it. Small cheeses dry up really quick.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:41:46 AM »
Lennie,

Next time you let your cheese dry (most of mine are the same size), cover it with a humid cloth and flip occasionaly. This will prevent sudden drying.

Offline Lennie

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:18:45 PM »
Good idea, it hasn't cracked open but I was worried about that possibility.  I will probably try my hand at waxing just for fun.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:37:44 AM »
I have very dry hea and in the winter I put a large bowl or bucket over my cheese that are air drying. That helps a lot.