Author Topic: drying time questions  (Read 1229 times)

cath s

drying time questions
« on: January 14, 2010, 04:03:08 AM »
Hi ya,
Looked thru here and found not necessarilyu my answer so thought I would post another drying time question!!!!!!!!  Sorry   :)

All the recipes say dry for 1-3 days until dry to touch/a yellowish rind is forming...
Well what if its longer than 3 days???  Should I then go put it in the cave????
My cheese has a yellowish rind on the edges but not the middle and it is still holding some moisture.  So its not drying too fast either.

I have a cheese that I vac paked after 3 days and it appeared dry-ish.  After vacpaking for one day there is whey coming from the cheese.  So I have opened the bag up and letting it air dry some and then into the cave until completely dry????

I just dont know when to call a cheese dry and it appears my cheese are taking longer to dry than the 3 days.  Its summer here at the mo... what will it be like in winter...
We dont have Airconditioning so it will be sort of outdoor temps...  We dont stay inside heaps during winter - out working the farm so the house wont be cosy warm temps.

cheers in advance
cath

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: drying time questions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 04:29:44 AM »
Depending on the cheese after drying to the touch they should ripen in the cave for a few weeks to a month before vac packing. They will dry on the outside pretty quickly but the moiture will redistribute in time and it needs a while to age. Even Havartis need a few weeks in the cave sometimes before bagging.