Author Topic: What size hoop?  (Read 1835 times)

trashcan79

What size hoop?
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:56:47 PM »
I'm thinking about my first batch of hard cheese so I'm looking into ordering/making a press and some hoops/molds.  I see molds for hard cheeses in in various sizes, but they primarily seem to be about 4.5" and 7" in diameter.  What size hoop goes with what size cheese (poundage wise)?  Does it matter?  Pros and cons of using larger and smaller hoop?

Thanks,
-Chris

Alex

Re: What size hoop?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:11:13 PM »
Welcome Chris,

Each type of cheese has specific dimensions having a relationship between the diameter and the height. You can search the web and find those traditional dimensions. There are exceptions concerning a few cheeses. The reason for keeping dimensions within proportion is to get certain textures and pressing conditions. You may scale those dimensions according to your batch sizes. Let us know your batch size abilities and type of cheese you intend to make. As English is not my native language, I hope I made myself understandable.

Stephan

Re: What size hoop?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:33:15 PM »
Chris,
Alex is right concerning the relationship between diameter, height and pressing condition.

In our shop we have many sizes apart from the 4,5 and 7" moulds.

If you let me know what sizes you are looking for we will see if we can get one / some for you. In addition we can advise on the pressing this specific mould requires.
Mind you, the advise is a guideline: how you press your cheese depends on many factors: the cheese size, the curd, the desired rind of the cheese, the desired texture of your cheese etc. Trial and error...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:10:26 AM by Stephan »