Author Topic: Tricks to Waxing?  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Lennie

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
Tricks to Waxing?
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:33:12 AM »
I waxed my small cheddar wheel this evening and it was a bit messy and didn't come out looking quite as smooth as I wanted.  Are there any tips for doing this?

Quesa

Re: Tricks to Waxing?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »
Lennie, I've had the same problem.

I brush the wax, but it hardens so fast that I end up with a "Martian landscape" instead of a smooth cheese surface.

I am not good at crafting mechanical things, so I will try something simple next time. Maybe deep half in and after that half dries then dunk the other half.

There are good suggestions on waxing in another thread.

:)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 06:31:03 PM »
The only way I could brush on wax and get it semi smooth was to do it on the oven rack with the oven on. If you spill it it will make a mess!

Tea

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:35:18 PM »
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,277.0.html

This is a thread that I posted ages ago on how I wax my cheeses.  I don't though use the initial plastic coating anymore, and I don't find that I have any problem with the wax not adhering to the cheese.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:17:11 PM »
I could not find that thread! Tea to the rescue ....

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 01:06:08 AM »
Put wax in double boiler configuration and wait patiently for it to reach about 190F (see photo below). Deep one quarter side first, let it cool for a minute while standing on the opposite side. (don't worry about imperfect-looking drippings, the next layer will flatten them). Now do the opposite quarter and repeat until the entire circumference of the cheese is covered along with some of the top and bottom. Now do the top, then the bottom.

At this point the entire cheese is covered, but you would notice that the wax is somewhat thin and see-through. Repeat the entire process and you will get the professional air-tight thick wax look and quality.

swh

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 02:37:51 AM »
After using many waxing techniques, most of which have been mentioned, I eventually settled on the old electric fry pan technique. I am definably not a yard sale sort of guy but cheese making has taken me in many unanticipated directions. So, I found an old fry pan at a yard sale (in perfect 50s avocado green) for $2 and melted a couple pounds of wax up to 220F and duct taped the controller at that setting. After I wax I let it cool and cover it with foil and the lid. Good to go next time.

Playing with 220 degree wax will definitely focus your attention and I usually wear heavy kitchen gloves. I like the fry pan technique since I have a gas range and the excitement of getting wax up to it's flash point around open flame was a bit much.

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 03:51:57 AM »
I totally agree with the nerves involved in using a gas stove and the high temps involved with melting wax! When I was about 10 my grandmother was melting wax for use in canning and it caught fire-so I have that frightening image forever seared into my brain!! I still like waxing my cheeses though, I'm just very cautious in doing so!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 04:44:01 AM »
Use an old crock pot.

iratherfly

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 05:07:07 AM »
scubagirlwonder, I do this in a double boiler configuration - never direct heat. The water pan is far wider than the wax pan and with all these water it's quite safe, I can just push it down and drown it instantly. There is a towel on my left shoulder at all times so I can use it on kitchen fires. What you really don't see in this photo is the fire extinguisher which is about 12" to my right. I play it safe. My motto is to keep commercial kitchen safety and sanitation standards at home. A great way to avoid accident and food handling issues such as cross contamination Etc.

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »
I use the double-boiler method too, works great!  ;D

Gina

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 05:13:44 PM »

If you dip (or paint) your cheese with wax and end up with ugly drips, blotches or smears, try what the candle-makers do to repair aesthetic damage - carefully use a heat gun, but dont hold it too close or for too long. This wont return wax to an impeccable finish, but it does a pretty good job.  :)

You can find heat guns in hardware and craft stores. The less expensive craft store ones are more than hot enough to melt/repair wax. I got mine using a 40%-off Michael's coupon.

Also, I read here someplace that someone had re-melted old candles to dip their cheeses. Not sure that's a good idea since many candle makers add various additives to make the wax do what they want for things such as hardness, opacity, color, scent, and better burning. Many commercial candles are also imported from places with a poor ingredient-safety track records.  :o