Author Topic: hi! newbie here in eastern mass  (Read 1554 times)

harvette

hi! newbie here in eastern mass
« on: January 17, 2010, 01:16:41 PM »
hi! I'm heather and a cheese-making newbie in eastern massachusetts. technically this is my 2nd post, I found this forum when I was in the middle of what I thought was a cheddar-disaster.... but I think maybe it disaster was averted, only time will tell. ;)

I'm interested in home cheese making - my husband and I have been doing home beer brewing for a couple of years now and a few months ago I realized making my own cheese just kinda seems like another obvious hobby for a homebrewer. I really just like making things from scratch to share with others... the more elaborate the process the better somehow!

I also have a (bad?) habit of doing something once the RIGHT way, reading a bunch about technique, then not following recipes and experimenting and doing things that just SEEM like they might turn out good.

I also love baking and cooking and could probably spend weeks in my kitchen if I were left to my own devices. Another new hobby is making my own homemade liqueurs (cranberry spice, lime-ginger, & lime-cardamom-allspice are some of my most recent successes there).

Anyway, this seems like a great place for all sorts of great cheese makin' info, so I'm excited to be here and will probably spend hours reading everything now!

Cheese Head

Re: hi! newbie here in eastern mass
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 01:30:03 PM »
Hi heather, welcome to this forum! Congrats on your new cheese making hobby, it can be fun!

PS: Search tool is really useful!

Alex

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:56:58 PM »
Welcome Heather,

I also have a (bad?) habit of doing something once the RIGHT way, reading a bunch about technique,

...and here we split. I mean, first time I always follow instructions/recipe strictly, and after I understood (at least I think so) what came out and why, only then I dare to experiment.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:51:44 PM »
Welcome neighbor!

I am pretty much the same way. I make something think the snott out of it and try to make it mine with this and that. I love experimenting and cheese is a god place to experiment once you understand the techniques and processes.

Brie

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 05:22:06 AM »
Welcome, Harvette--I am new to the forum as well. I"ve learned that there should be no great derevations of general recipes until we understand the principals. This is a great site that does just that.
Christine

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:41:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum. No better place to learn cheesemaking.