Author Topic: MrsKK's Chocolate American Neufchatel  (Read 7900 times)

MrsKK

MrsKK's Chocolate American Neufchatel
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »
This is my experiment using raw milk and cocoa, just to compare it with John's store-bought chocolate milk method.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 gallons whole raw milk
1 cup clabber
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablet Junket rennet, dissolved in 1/4 cup non-chlorinated cool water

Method:
1) Using double boiler method, warm milk  to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.  Turn off heat.  Keep pot of milk in double boiler.

2) Whisk clabber until thin and no clumps remain.  Gradually whisk in cocoa, then sugar.  Whisk into pot of milk.

3) Gently stir in dissolved rennet.

4) Cover milk pot with lid, then cover and wrap outer kettle with a towel to maintain heat as close to 80 degrees Fahrenheit as possible.  Allow to age 12-18 hours to develop flavor, until it is thick like yogurt.

5) Pour curd into butter muslin-lined colander, knot corners and hang 6-12 hours until desired consistency.  Occasionally scrape outer curd toward center to allow better drainage.

6) Remove from muslin and stir/knead until consistent texture throughout.  Keep in refrigerator and use or freeze within 1-2 weeks.

Notes on Process:
1) My milk temperature reached 90 degrees Fahrenheit while I was whisking the clabber and cocoa together.

2) To add the cocoa to the clabber, I sifted a bit at a time over the clabber, then whisked it in.  It got quite thick after adding the sugar, so I whisked in about 1 cup of warmed milk before adding it to the pot of milk.

So now I'm waiting for it to culture...

deb415611

Re: MrsKK's Chocolate American Neufchatel
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:10:19 PM »
MrsKK

I'm looking forward to your results. 

I have a couple chocolate cake recipes that use cocoa.  The recipes start with mixing the cocoa with boiling water then add vanilla.  You let this cool and then go onto making the cake. The cocoa/water mixture gets really smooth and the cocoa incorporates really well into the water.   I just looked and the proportions for the angel food cake recipe I have is 1 oz cocoa to 2 oz water.  I wonder is this method would work well with this type recipe.  I also wonder if adding vanilla would be a good addition.

I need to find more time in my life because I really want to try this. 

Deb

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:03:47 PM »
They do seem to always use vanilla with cocoa. I always wondered about that.

Sounds interesting Laren. Looking forward to your results! Good luck!

deb415611

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:40:50 PM »
Thinking out loud again, but a little expresso powder enhances chocolate flavor.  I'm going to have to find time for this soon. :D

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 11:14:11 PM »
Karen, looking forward to hearing/seeing results. The one I made with store bought choc milk had the sugar already in it so I was stuck. I assume you added sugar to make it more a desert cheese?

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »
01/18/2010 Notes:

I was not able to put the curd in the cheesecloth until nearly midnight, having worked second shift yesterday.  It was set nicely, with some of the cocoa having precipitated out and settled on the bottom of the pot.

At 6:30 this morning, I turned the Neuf out of the cheesecloth into a bowl and beat it until the texture and color was consistent throughout.  It is a pale brown and almost has a fluffy texture at room temperature.  It will be interesting to see how firm it gets when chilled.

The flavor is more of an aftertaste of chocolate.  It is just barely sweet.  I will probably use this to make chocolate cheesecake.

If I were to make this in the future, I think that I would blend the cocoa into a couple of cups of the milk and heat it to near boiling, as I think that would extract more of the chocolate flavor.  Or, as suggested above, mix it into boiling water and allow it to cool before blending into the rest of the ingredients.

I only added 1/2 cup sugar at the same time as I added the cocoa to the clabber.  Mostly because I didn't think it would taste very good if it were more bitter from the cocoa.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 02:51:27 AM »
Sometiimes a subtle aftertaste is magic in a special dish. Congrats Karen!

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 02:20:40 PM »
I think I forgot to add the detail that this yielded 4 3/4 pounds of Neuf.  I was amazed at the high yield, especially as I didn't have any extra cream to add to the milk as I've done in the past (usually about a quart of cream to 2 1/4 gallons of whole milk).

My shifts at work are really crazy right now, so I gave away some of it to friends who will be sure to use it and I froze the rest to use later.  When I make cheesecake, I will post the results.

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 10:59:39 PM »
Karen, thanks for the info, I also got high yield. Guess the starter culture ate up most of the sugar you added.

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »
My starter culture was pretty tangy, too.  I froze a lot of it up in ice cube trays to use for starting future batches of cheese, but had some left so I drained it and am using it as sour cream.  It has awesome flavor.

I probably could have used just 1/2 cup of clabber as my starter, though.  I wasn't really thinking about it, but I normally use a full cup for culturing 5 gallons of milk.

For people who don't have access to clabber, cultured buttermilk will work equally as well.

MrsKK

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 02:43:19 PM »
I made chocolate cheesecake with the Neufchatel and it turned out really good.  I used the recipe I altered from Tea's baked cheesecake, posted here: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,330.msg12029.html#msg12029, but did not marbelize it or add the extra chocolate.

As I was taking it to a supper party, I decided to make it in a 9x13 cake pan, rather than a springform pan.  I used about a cup of vanilla Greek yogurt as topping, then garnished with curls of dark chocolate.

This version turned out much less rich than the original recipe, but very tasty.  I think I will try dissolving the cocoa in boiling water before adding to the milk the next time I make chocolate Neufchatel, but I don't really see any need for other alterations. 

I'm pretty happy with the results!

Cheese Head

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 05:39:40 PM »
Karen, good it worked out, of course I hate pictures of chocolate cake ::).

MrsKK

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 07:31:03 AM »
I apologize for not getting pictures...it is already eaten.  Delish, though, even if I do say so myself.

I really doubt I'm going to lose any weight before mid-March and a trip to South Carolina...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 04:14:05 AM »
Gee I don't know Karen you look thinner to me ...  ;)

MrsKK

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 02:57:24 PM »
Funny thing, I had somebody tell me that last week, but I gained nearly 15 pounds this fall.  Not sure how that works!