Author Topic: Newbie in Vermont, USA  (Read 1675 times)

farmerpam

Newbie in Vermont, USA
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:13:34 AM »
Hi,  had this great idea to get a cow, learn how to milk her and then make cheese.  That was last winter, soooo much to learn.  Now I have two cows, even more milk and realizing even more to learn!  This site is fantastic,  I don't feel so alone with my cheesemaking books anymore.  Thank you all for sharing. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Newbie in Vermont, USA
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 01:42:12 AM »
Welcome Pam.
You are in a great area for cheese classes. I would love to go up there for a class with Peter Dixson. In any event this is a great place to learn and it's free!

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 03:04:25 AM »
welcome to the forum Pam..with two cows do you still have time to make a few wheels? You are up there in prime cheddar country, have you made any yet? Where in Vt do you hail from? I have a brother who lived in underhill for quite a while, nice country.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:06:05 AM »
Welcome Farmer Pam!

Mankind can not live by books alone!

OK, it's way easier with people to talk with . . . welcome, John.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:52:40 AM »
Welcome Farmer Pam. I only envy you that you have 2 cows and good source of fresh milk. I don't have enough land to have cows or goats and you have to break the law to buy fresh milk :-\ for human consumption here in Australia.  :'(

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:45:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I would love to hear about your cows; what kind? how much milk? Great group of folks here. I like your name too.  ;)

farmerpam

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 03:28:11 AM »
Thank you all for taking the time to post.  I live in a small town called Eden, not too far from Underhill.  And I have two jersey's,  I'm doing what I believe is called calf sharing, so I no longer have to milk twice a day, as I did last winter....Very time consuming.  Now I milk once a day on 3 quarters and leave one full for the calf.  I keep the calf and the Momma apart at night and milk in the morning.  I get about 4 gallons of milk a day, trying hard to use up.  I do so wish you folks lived close by as I would gladly give it away.  And I'm realizing from reading this forum that it's okay to try other cheese's, even if I haven't perfected the one that started it all,  cheddar.....love, love that cheddar.  It amazes and inspires to see so many just dive right into a new recipe!  I've been putting off trying to attempt my other love, bleu cheese.  For some strange reason I thought I shouldn't attempt to move on until I had a consistant, really good cheddar.  Well, that thought is now banished from my mind as I've decided to try at least two new cheeses this week, honestly, you folks inspire.  Most of the time I feel as if i'm flying by the seat of my pants,  I can only hope to become an "old cheese."  ;)

FarmerJd

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 04:05:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Sounds a lot like what I do. Cheddar is what got me started too. Good luck!

Tea

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 08:53:48 PM »
Good morning Pam and welcome to the forum.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 04:04:51 PM »
Wow, Pam, 4 gallons a day! Between the milking and the cheesemaking, when will you have time for anything else?  ;D

I must admit to a touch of envy. Fresh milk there in Vermont. Ah, to dream....   :)

Welcome aboard.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 01:00:04 AM »
4 gallons a day very nice! We look forward to watching you progress.

SueVT

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 12:47:24 AM »
Hi Farmerpam,
I'm in Chester, VT (southern VT), your cows sound divine!  I use raw Jersey milk also, it is the Best!
Regards,
Sue