Author Topic: Yogurt - Slimy Texture  (Read 45728 times)

rips

Re: Yogurt - Slimy Texture
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 02:05:18 PM »
So just a follow up. My buttermilk was still thin and without taste after 12-14 hours but suddenly after 24 hours, it had stiffened like a yogurt. I just had to stir with a spoon to get the perfect texture and the taste was great :)

As for the cheese made from the other half of the buttermilk (after 12 hours). It'll just be a fresh cheese. I'll be away for two weeks and I don't want to start maturing a cheese now. It looked, tasted and behaved a lot like mozzarella, but I read afterwards that mozzarella has to be heated up and kneaded.

Pipis

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »
I have discovered the reason for sliminess.... let me explain. I live in Turkey in a very small village and buy my milk each day from the neighbour who spends each day, every day with her two cows, moving them along the green pastures like the shepherds would have done hundreds of years ago back in England. I have learnt to speak Turkish and chat regularly with the village ladies. The last 3 times I have made yoghurt, it has been very slimy and I thought it was my mistake somehow with the weather having warmed up a lot lately and possibly leaving my pot too long in its blankets to set. However, today I spoke to the villagers and they explained to me that the cow is pregnant and this is the reason the milk has become slimy and this is how they first learn that a cow is pregnant. I just thought this was quite fascinating and thought it was worth passing on to others who have also been affected by this. Some of the villagers actually prefer this slimy texture and consider it delicious, but actually I have chosen to purchase my milk from the other neighbour for the next 5 months until the calf is born.

wattlebloke

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 09:10:02 PM »
That is really fascinating Pipis - and welcome to the forum...you can learn something every day, when you have an enquiring mind!

whitewolf

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 08:50:50 PM »
Thanks Pipis, this clarifies for me, have been battling this for the last month, probably even more and it corresponds with calving season which will probably be sometime in September. Have tried pretty much everything else, I was usually heating up to 75^C for a minute or so and it always made delicious yoghurt (I use raw milk), not real greek style thick but with a bit of acidity and not slimy at all. Until about a couple of months ago. Unfortunately I opened new batch of culture at the same time so this was first to blame. I got a different culture from another source and it doesn't seem to be doing any better. Heating up to 95^C for 10 minutes makes very thick yoghurt but appears slime is still there, particularly in whatever little whey is left. I used to love it but am feeding it to the dogs now once it accumulates on the top (once I take some yoghurt out, I have 1 litre pot). Was thinking my 99% alcohol was not doing the sterilizing equipment properly or something but was also starting to suspect the milk.  :o Since our source of raw milk is drying the herd off for calving in a couple of weeks will see how we go with another source when I am able to find it since prohibition on raw milk here is becoming ludicrous. Booze and cigarettes in dairy on every corner but oh no, raw milk, you will die from it... :-X

Glad I found the forum, I was starting  to doubt my yoghurt making capabilities.

wattlebloke

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 09:15:29 PM »
Welcome Whitewolf! yes, this forum is the place to be for the most obscure, as well as the commonest questions and problems.

Azi

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 08:22:19 AM »
Hi everyone!

I have been searching the web for some days now to find what causes slimy yogurt and found this forum very interesting and informative. I therefore would like to ask for your opinion on whether Yeast has anything to do with making such gluey texture. On the web,some have mentioned that the problem is due to yeast ( which might have accidentally got in the milk), which have made me both anxious ( since I've been told to consume yogurt to cure my yeast infection!) and wondering if at all such thing can scientifically be possible! ( I have always thought that the bacteria in the yogurt defeats the yeast...so how would it be possible to grow yeast where these bacteria culture?)

I would be grateful if anyone can share their ideas with me

Thanks
Azi

valley ranch

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »
I admit to not having read each and every post, I'll go back and read. We have had the same results with using starters, but I think wifey has had good results with "Karoun" brand as a starter. Do they sell Karoun in where you are?

Richard