Author Topic: Brand New from Virginia, USA...  (Read 3339 times)

ScarySouthernMan

Brand New from Virginia, USA...
« on: January 20, 2010, 02:46:50 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Jacob (don't let the forum handle fool you, I'm a really nice guy) and I REALLY want to learn more about making cheese at home.

I have so much to learn from you good people and I can't wait to see you all out there on the message boards.  Thanks so much,

Jacob

mtncheesemaker

Re: Brand New from Virginia, USA...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:52:31 PM »
Welcome, Jacob.
Glad to have you. Be careful, cheese making may be addictive!
Do you have access to raw milk in your area? What kind of cheeses are you thinking about?
I keep planning to narrow down the number of cheeses I make but haven't so far!
Best of luck,
Pam

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 03:53:40 PM »
Welcome, Jacob!

So what's the backstory to your handle? You're not really scary;)

Pam's right; it is really easy to become a cheesehead here. You'll get good information and encouragement.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Alex

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 04:39:16 PM »
Welcome Jacob,

Tell us about the kinds of cheeses you would like to start with. It is recommended to start with some soft cheese, so you can feel and learn the behaviour of the milk transforming into cheese.

Good Luck !!!

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jacob! Better tell your wife now that the chores can wait-because the cheese making can't ;D

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:49:30 PM »
Welcome Jacob!

From here in Houston, Virginia is middle not southern ;D. OK I'm originally from the Great White North.

FarmerJd

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum. It is great to meet another "southern man"  :) (I am from Alabama). I look forward to your input.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 01:01:20 AM »
Welcome aboard Jacobs. You will get plenty of help here just ask.

ScarySouthernMan

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 03:02:12 AM »
Thank you all so much for the speedy responses!

Ok, a little backstory on my handle as requested...

I am a waterfowl hunter by design.  That is to say I hunt ducks and geese and have for most of my life.  I've been a member of a few hunting forums over the years and also had the great fortune to travel abroad to the midwest to fulfill some fantasy in my early twenties.  Whilst in Nebraska, I was regularly posting pictures of the results of prolific hunts when someone innocently responded, "Wow thats one SCARY southern man!".  He was reffering to my size and physical appearence at the time.  I'm 6' 8" tall and at the time I had hair and a beard that rivaled any mountain man I've known...LOL.

So the name stuck.  People wanted to see pictures of "Scary" so that's what I gave em'.  Again, I'm a totally passive down to earth kinda guy...  I reckon I got a look about me that midwesterners find a little, well, out of the ordinary...HAHA.

I've always been the sort of person that is quite a sucker for living a humble lifestyle, yet eating like royalty.  Cuisine is a passion of mine.  Trust me, you don't get to be 6' 8" and 240 lbs by NOT eating.  The duck hunting thing has turned my head to a number of D-I-Y hobbies that I truly enjoy.  I'm currently an aspiring brewer in a partnership with a close friend of mine and we are entering several ales into competition this year.  Fermentation fascinates me and so does cheese and bread...  So I figured it only natural to gravitate towards the two hobbies as well.  I've yet to tackle bread making.  I imagine that baby steps is right for someone like myself.

My vision is a humble one.  I've led myself to believe that I'm a proficient vegetable and herb gardener, I'm very well adept at hunting wild game of many different sorts, I'm also a skilled fisherman who likes to target the savory edible species, and now I feel I must fill in the blanks.  For me that means cheese and bread...  HA!  And no short supply of either.  In the meat, vegetable and beverage departments, my cup runneth over...  sometimes literally (and accidentally).  So, here I go.  I have a lot to learn.

My personal likenesses are for the following variety of cheeses...  (unlike beer and exotic meats, I have had no real worldly exposure to cheese so please try not to blush at my grocery store inexperience)

I am in love with Muenster, Havarti, mild Chedders, Jacks, Colby, & Mozza.  I'm sure that being a huge fan of dairy that there are literally hundreds of styles of cheese that I WOULD love but have not had exposure to.  There are a few cheese varieties that I've had that are just on the edge of my preferences like Brie...  I just can't get over certain textures and tastes.  I'm not at all a fan of the aromatic cheeses like the blues and gorganzola (sp?).  I realize that this may damage my own credibility with artisans out there but afterall, one man's fun is another's Hell. 

So I hope that this covers the questions you all had.  I can't wait to dive headlong into the world of cheese.

Thanks so much for your responses.

- Jacob

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 03:52:52 AM »
Great story Jacob thank you. I have to say that ven though I have had great luck with making cheese over many years and I research cheese from all over the world and replicate them as best as I can figure - can't handle the rinds on bries, camemberts and the like. I like the inside of the cheese but not the rind.

As for blues they make me sneeze and itch. I made a pretty good gorgonzola once and ended up with a rash like poison ivy! Took a doctor to figure it out for me. Something about the blue molds I guess. Moldy bread has the same affect. Oddly enough the white mold doesn't seem to bother me.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 07:17:06 AM »
Good detail. Thanks, Jacob.

Now, let's see some cheeses.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Alex

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 03:46:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story Jacob, I rely enjoyed it.
Considering the list of cheeses you intend to make, according to my experience in cheese making, I would suggest you start with a 30 minute Mozz, move to Havarti (it's quite forgiveable), continue with Jack (not big deal) and finally Cheddar and Munster. Cheddar has it's tricks during the make and Munster has it's tricks during ageing. Don't hasitate to start and to ask, you'll find a lot of support here.

Cheesetart

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 06:33:31 PM »
Welcome, Jacob!  I am new to the forums as well -- I look  forward to learning from everyone here.   Cheesemaking is a great experience and the fun is in sharing!!

caciocavallo

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 03:46:13 AM »
Welcome Jacob!

I am sure you will get all the help you need from this forum.

FYI: I am a hunter as well (duck deer and small game).

Cheers,
Cacio