Author Topic: Cow Species' Milk - Rennet Coagulation-Clean Break Problems  (Read 7402 times)

Joyce

Cow Species' Milk - Rennet Coagulation-Clean Break Problems
« on: January 21, 2010, 08:49:46 PM »
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum but I have lurked here for some time.  For the last year or so I have been making cheese - hard and soft - from our grass fed Jersey cow's milk.   She died in December  :'( so now I have found a new source of raw milk from a farm with Holsteins (price is right at $1/gallon).  Anyways, I have never had a problem getting a clean break after 30 min of adding diluted rennet.  Now with the Holstein milk, I cannot get a clean break in under an hour and even when I do, the whey is cloudy and still full of milk.  I have only tried making cheese three times with this milk and I have the same problem each time.  Could it be that the grain is making the difference or the breed of cow?  I am at a loss trying to figure out the problem  Would using calcium chloride give me a better clean break?  Has anybody had a similar experience?  Any feedback would be great.  Thanks!

linuxboy

Re: Cow Species' Milk - Rennet Coagulation-Clean Break Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 09:01:58 PM »
Holstein milk has much lower solids and lower butterfat compared to Jersey. Also, the feed does make a difference. Adding calcium chloride will help, but it's hard to say how much. The underlying issue is the solids content in milk. You might be able to get a better break by adding a little dry milk.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 10:52:34 AM »
Joyce, first of all, I want to welcome you to the CheeseForum!  And express my condolences on losing your cow.  I'd be lost without my Buttercup.

Before BC was producing, I was buying milk from a raw milk dairy that had mostly Holsteins in their herd and I was having similar issues, but didn't realize anything different because that was the milk that I was learning how to make cheese with.

Once they are eating fresh grass (are they allowed to graze when it is available?) you might see different results.

Are you planning on getting a new cow of your own?

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 04:08:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  It's been a real disappointment losing Clover and now having the cheesemaking problem.   

Linuxboy:  I just ordered the calcium chloride and I'll give it a go.  I hope it helps.  Without it I have added at least another hour or so to the cheesemaking process waiting to cut the curd and with 5 children 9 and under, it's more of a challenge than usual to make cheese!

Karen:  I learned how to make cheese with the "good stuff" so now it's hard to have this change.  I do not think the Holsteins are grazing right now - just grain and hay for them.  We are hoping to get another Jersey as soon as we have better shelter and better feed/grass available.  My husband is actually enjoying not having to milk this winter so it's hard to convince him we need a new cow right away.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »
Send him to the grocery store to buy the milk for the next month...I'm sure that milking a cow will sound a lot easier after he's "milked" his wallet for a month!  With that many small children, I'm sure you go through a LOT of milk at your house.

I'm the only milker here, so having a break is really attractive.  I do enjoy it when my cow is dry, but I'm missing it about two weeks before she's ready to freshen.  That tells me that I really AM a milkmaid!

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 03:39:25 PM »
Joyce, welcome to the forum. My wife and I also have lots of small children (10 under the age of 16) and we have lost many batches of cheese over it. It is a running joke at our house that on cheesemaking days everybody better be very good. :)  They are very helpful but also very distracting sometimes. As Karen said, if you figured the amount of money we save on milk, (we drink at least 1.5 gallons a day), buttermilk (1 gallon a week), butter, yogurt, and cheese, we save a lot of money. I don't know how old your kids are but mine begin helping me at age 2 and are solo milkers by age 6. Good luck on finding a replacement for your cow. We lost one after milking her for 12 + years and it was real tough.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 12:19:37 AM »
Welcome Joyce. I just got my supplier switched from Jersy to Holstein milk. It's tough to get used to but it's still raw and better than store bought.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 04:56:26 AM »
I just switched from raw Jersy to Holstein milk for a couple of months. I can't believe how white my cheeses are with the Holstein. Compared to the Jersey, the look like goat's milk cheeses.

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 01:44:45 PM »
How has the switch affected the texture and creaminess of your cheeses, Sailor?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 02:38:15 PM »
I just switched three weeks ago because my regular Jersey supply has dried up for awhile. There is no question that the Jersey has more carotene, which gives it more natural yellow color. The difference in color is stunning. Some of that may be due to diet. The Jerseys are on a farm with mixed pasture and woodlands. The Holsteins come from an organically certified Amish farmer and are raised on open pasture.

I don't have any hard cheeses aged long enough to tell about the flavor, but I have made one 4 pound batch of Mozz and the flavor and texture is superb. Both raw milks that I use are tested and run 4-5% butterfat, so not much technical difference there. Of course part of that depends on how much cream the farmer skims off. The curd set is another story. I find that the Jersey has a MUCH firmer curd set and requires 25% less rennet to achieve the same flocculation times. I am having to make a lot of adjustments to get the same results from the Holstein.

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 07:53:56 PM »
The curd set is my problem, too.  I read that adding more rennet would make the cheese bitter so I am hesitant to add more.  I guess I should try it and see what happens.  Do you add calcium chloride also? 

I just tried making mozzarella (short version) this morning with only one gallon renneting at a higher temp. and I still never got curds firm enough to cut.  It just sort of mushed into mozzarella!  I had a similar problem with Colby and Jack.  They are definitely whiter than the cheese I made with our Jersey milk.

FarmerJD:  What's your training technique on having solo milkers by the age of 6?  Wow! I guess my 9 yo daughter could be milking all by herself.  Having another milker would help my husband make a move to get another cow...

BTW, thanks to all for welcoming me onto the forum.  I was feeling desperate about the cheese situation last week and didn't even post an introduction on the forum. 

My wax is melted so it's time to go wax a round!

Joyce

FarmerJd

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 09:04:12 PM »
The cow needs more training than the kids. :)  From the time they can walk to the barn, they go out with me and get on the opposite side of the cow and try to milk as I milk. It has always been the most special time of our day as we can talk and bond at the start of every day. Eventually they get to a point where they really are making progress on their side of the cow and it takes a lot less time to milk. Then I let them try washing the bag and drying it by themselves and usually by age 6 they are ready to take it on solo. They all take pride in their "Popeye" arms and when newbies come by and try to milk, they enjoy rubbing it in that they can do something most adults can't do. Right now, when we milk all three, I milk with my 3 year old and my 14 and 8 year old milk together and my 12 and 7 year old milk together. It is always a race. My girls can milk and are really good but it has become a guy thing every day for the past couple of years. I tell people that I milk a cow because it keeps me at home. No better place to be. Posted a pic and video of my 3 year old. Hope it's not too off topic.

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 11:55:49 PM »
That sounds easy enough and like lots of fun!  I would love to see the video but I get only 26.4Kb/second out here so it'll be a chore to download.  Looks like it'll take 34 minutes and I am not sure how the viewing will be with the slow connection I have.  Thanks for the info.!

FarmerJd

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 12:15:59 AM »
No problem.

FarmerJd

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 12:18:22 AM »
Sailor, I have noticed the same thing regarding curd set between jersey and Holstein.