Author Topic: Cow Species' Milk - Rennet Coagulation-Clean Break Problems  (Read 7412 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Cow Species' Milk - Rennet Coagulation-Clean Break Problems
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 02:32:20 AM »
JD - so how did you adjuist? I acts like it needs additional calcium, but I can't imagine that's true.

Oude Kaas

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 03:12:05 AM »
Even between different Jersey farms there can be a big difference of curd behavior. Recently I started to get my milk from another Jersey farmer. The first time I used his milk to make cheese, I was amazed by the firmness of the curd. It was much firmer than the curd formed from the milk of the Jersey farmer where I used to get the milk from.

I also use milk from Ayshire cows and sometimes Holstein (as a last resort). Both the Ayshire and Holstein curd formation is much softer. I use these milks to make blues and lactic types and make Alpines and Tommes from the Jersey. No need to adjust. As far as I can see it, every milk has its own characteristics which makes it suitable for a specific cheese.

FarmerJd

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 04:38:22 AM »
Last statement is very true, Oude. A while back when I was making smaller cheeses, I noticed a difference when I used one cow's milk compared to another's. Now I just mix it all to get the big batches so I don't notice so much.
Sailor, as far as adjustment, I didn't have you guys at the time so I didn't have a clue. Using the different milks for different cheeses is a great idea that I had not thought of though. I may try that when I attempt my first blue.

Tea

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 10:28:40 PM »
That's a fine looking lad you got there Farmer.  My youngest turned 3 last Friday, and it seems like I am watching him grow every day.

FarmerJd

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 10:36:12 PM »
It is scary how fast it happens, isn't it, Tea?

Brie

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 01:23:43 AM »
My dairy source had used nothing but holsteins, with excellent curd set--perhaps because he is certified organic. He's bought a couple of Jersey's and the color is much better (carotene?); yet no difference in the curd set. there is definitely much more cream in the Jersey's!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 03:50:40 AM »
That is one good looking kid JD!  You must be one proud Papa!

I have been switched to Holstein milk for a few months now and I to see a big difference in the color, texture and flavor of the cheese as made by my normal process. I have taken to adding a bit of Calcium chloride and increasing my rennet somewhat as well as adding a few drops of annatto for color.

The good news is my old supplier called me yesterday and she has some extra milk this week and is apparently short on bottle returns so she needed me to buy her milk. No extra charges just mighty fine Jersey milk in my corney kegs. Woohoo!