Author Topic: Marinading feta  (Read 3358 times)

RadioFlyer

Marinading feta
« on: November 24, 2009, 03:11:55 AM »
I made raw goat feta and it's been brining now for 10 days. I'd love to marinade some but have a few questions.
Can I still marinade some?
How long does feta keep in olive oil?
Can I use fresh herbs or does it have to be dried? I have fresh Italian, and purple basil, and fresh dill.
Also, is it ok that the feta is very firm? I tasted some and it's salty and quite sharp but good.

Tea

Re: Marinading feta
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 07:07:50 PM »
Yes you can marinade your feta.  It should keep for about a month.  Heat the oil until just warm, add the herbs and allow to infuse.  Allow to cool before adding the feta.  Chopped chilli, peppers etc can also be used for extra colour, crushed garlic, and I don't see why spices couldn't be used for a completely different flavour.
I find that the harder feta seem to work better that the softer feta's.

Feta can be brined between 12-15%.  Personally I find that 12 is better, as I don't like is too salty either.  You can soak it in milk for a hour, to reduce the saltiness if you prefer. HTH

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:10:33 PM »
Radio, my understanding is that 16% or higher brine is minimize unwanted micro-organisms and thus have a very long shelf life.

If you are going to consume cheese younger or add herbs which as Tea says will result in a ~ 1 month shelf life, then you don't need to have a high % salt brine.

Tea

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »
Thanks for that John. I have only read that the brine should be between 12-15%.  Though at 12% mine will keep up to 6mths without spoiling.

goat lady

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 02:57:16 AM »
I salt my feta with kosher salt let sit in glass sterile dish for 24 hours then rinse extra salt and pat dry then cube into 1 lb deli containers add dry spices ie rosemary and dried garlic,fill with canola oil, lid it make sure there is no air bubbles and put in fridge. as long as no air gets to the cheese it will keep for months. the oil is great for cooking when the feta is gone

Alex

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 07:23:59 AM »
As you keep your oil out of the fridge, you can keep the fetta in oil out of the fridge as well.

jimcheese

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »
Every Christmas   ,I do up a few large jars of marinaded feta as gifts for family members .As in the commercial products  ,I use a mix of canola or other vegetable oil with olive oil to prevent coagulation such as you get with pure olive oil if kept in the fridge .I use fresh herbs for the appearance and add dried herbs for the intensity of flavour  .I also use fennel seeds ,mustard seeds  ,really anything you like the flavour of  , as well as plenty of black pepper . 

And we get about 4 months life in the fridge before any spoilage is ever noted  .And we use the oil for salads and cooking as the amount of feta declines  . My family always run out before the feta goes off .

Always a good looking gift for a foodie !!

RadioFlyer

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 09:18:29 PM »
Do you brine yours before you put it in the oil? Mine is just too salty to eat, I've ruined it.  :'(

Every Christmas   ,I do up a few large jars of marinaded feta as gifts for family members .As in the commercial products  ,I use a mix of canola or other vegetable oil with olive oil to prevent coagulation such as you get with pure olive oil if kept in the fridge .I use fresh herbs for the appearance and add dried herbs for the intensity of flavour  .I also use fennel seeds ,mustard seeds  ,really anything you like the flavour of  , as well as plenty of black pepper . 

And we get about 4 months life in the fridge before any spoilage is ever noted  .And we use the oil for salads and cooking as the amount of feta declines  . My family always run out before the feta goes off .

Always a good looking gift for a foodie !!

Tea

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 06:07:16 PM »
If it is too salty, try soak in milk before adding to the oil.

Cheesetart

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 12:55:39 AM »
I've  made feta before -- but this time I tried the marinading tips in this thread.  I must say -- the feta was delicious!!  I gave some away to a friend -- but I found myself savoring the rest!  I felt guilty for keeping it all to myself, so I made another batch today and can't wait to try some different spices in the marinade.  Thanks for the great tips!