Author Topic: Feta with skimmed milk, ok?  (Read 2719 times)

kawatiri kaas

Feta with skimmed milk, ok?
« on: December 07, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »
To date I've made Feta with full cream milk (as we milk a (brown) cow now), BUT, I really want to divert more cream to other purposes. So I'm thinking of using the milk after I've skimmed the cream. Any comments on things to watch for with using a low(er) fat milk? Not that I've got full cream Feta making down pat or anything... but you guys have trodden these dark paths before me...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:08:56 AM by kawatiri kaas »

MrsKK

Re: Feta with skimmed milk, ok?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:36:10 AM »
I've never made Feta, but posted my results last week with making a Colby-style cheese using 3 gallons of skimmed milk and 2 of whole milk.  Versus the previous 2 batches of full-fat whole milk, my results were about 1/3 less curd.

I've decided to save my skimmed milk for making cheeses like mozzerella and Parmesan,which are intended to be made with lower fat milk anyway.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:48:08 PM »
As MrsK said, your yield will be down, but the resultant cheese should just be a bit harder.  Give it a go and see what you find.

justsocat

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 04:01:26 AM »
I've tried skimmed milk feta. It yields more crumbly cheese with slightly weaker taste. But i liked it  :)

judec

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:44:35 AM »
Yeah it will work.  I alos have made semi-skimmed milk feta.  I started doing it when I was having trouble with "melting" feta.  It did come out a little dryer which is what I was aiming for.

Jude.