Author Topic: SMALL COMMERCIAL GOAT CHEESE MAKING - RECOMMENDATIONS  (Read 16859 times)

Ocean View Cheese Maker

SMALL COMMERCIAL GOAT CHEESE MAKING - RECOMMENDATIONS
« on: January 22, 2010, 05:37:17 PM »
Hi,
 I am totally new to Goat cheese making.  I am in the process of setting up a plant. Would need some advice or recommendation on - Building size, equipment required (what size pasteurizer/Vat), etc.

What I can tell you is that I will be processing the milk from 25 goats ( about 12-15 gallons / day). Planning on doing cheese products every 2 days.

Any advice, information, recommendation, would be welcome.

Thanks from beautiful Prince Edward Island, Canada,
Louis

RadioFlyer

Re: SMALL COMMERCIAL GOAT CHEESE MAKING - RECOMMENDATIONS
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:18:24 AM »
Hi Louis. I don't know if you've ever seen this website but they just built a goat dairy. I'm sure they'd be happy to offer some advice with your venture. http://www.goddardfarm.com
What little bit of goat cheese I've been making has been wonderful! And now my girls are dry until end of March. *pout*

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 04:24:15 AM »
Hello Louis and welcome to the forum!

I'm only a hobby cheesemaker, but most recommendations I've seen are to get and read this book and for small commercial, concentrate on one or two cheeses and get them down perfect, rather than trying all sorts of cheeses.

Here is some info on cheese caves.

Otherwise, I'd say use the Search function of this forum and learn learn and practice practice.

Of course all the normal rules and regs.

Good luck!

FRANCOIS

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 05:07:20 AM »
The smallest legal vat in the US (commercially made, not custom) is 50 gallons.  If you are making cheese every other day, you'll need to pasteurize.  If you can sell fresh cheese for a descent price, start off that way.  You get better yields (more moisture) and don't need expertise or equipment to age it.

Breaking even with 25 goats will be tough.  You won't be able to hire anyone.  It takes almost the same amount of time to milk 25 as it dose 75 when you step up in equipment and the cheese making time is similar.  This is the main reason small scale farms struggle, they have a hard time making the commitment for the next rung that will actually start growing the business.  If you just want something you and your family can do to make a few dollars, 25 is fine but I suspect you will need at least one "off farm" income.

Ocean View Cheese Maker

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:21:26 PM »
Thank you all.  I will take the information into consideration for my setup. Appreciated.

Louis

RRR

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »
There is a legal 10 to 22 gallon pasteurizer available from http://www.microdairydesigns.com . I have been using it a year now and seems pretty good for my operation.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 08:01:33 AM »
You will want to check any pasteurizer you buy with your licensing authority, as requirements and interpretations vary.  The micro dairy unit is not allowed in some states, same goes for the Vermont vat unit (15 gal version).  The measure of distinction is the leak-check valve.  Some states will not allow single jacket vats, it all depends and you should check before laying out the cash.  Your best bet is to buy a unit that has already been installed somewhere with approval of your licensing authority.

NOAH

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 06:44:14 PM »
Louis,
I think you are on the right track with 25 milking does and pasteurizing every day at 12 to 15 gallons per day.  We do have the pasteurizer, chiller tank and bottle system from http://www.microdairydesigns.com

They make one that is larger, I think 35 gallons.   Ours is 22 gallons with a smaller, 7 gallon vat that fits into the same pasteurizer unit that we use for smaller batches.   Due to space limitations we opted for the 22 gallon unit but did get the optional dual heaster to pasteurize faster and save time.   That way if we want to do additional batches in the same day it is doable.

Other commentators are correct, despite the fact this unit meets our manufacturing & business needs, as well as the PMO and Kansas Milk Law requirement, each state is slightly different, so you need to check with your state milk inspectors in advance of purchase.   We submitted all printed material about the Micro Dairy system to our regulators and put them in contact with the Micro Dairy Design folks and received complete approval of the system prior to purchase.  It is a wonderful system.  We are at www.goddardfarm.com and it is all on our web site.

Noah

Captain Caprine

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 04:56:20 AM »
Hi Louis,
If you are trying to make the operation pay you may want to give this business plan from a UC Davis study a look.
Cheers
CC
http://coststudies.ucdavis.edu/files/dairygoatsnc05r.pdf