Author Topic: Cheesemaking is Fun!!  (Read 1637 times)

Cheesetart

Cheesemaking is Fun!!
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:34:17 AM »
Hello everyone!!!   I'm new to this forum and I'm glad to be here!!  I've been making cheese for the last year (for me it is therapy after a week in the office) and I am addicted to it.  I've had my ups and downs with it -- but I consider all of it the best adventure!!
I've been looking through the posts here today and I am so excited to get to know you all and learn from your past experience!!

FarmerJd

Re: Cheesemaking is Fun!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 12:56:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn. Lots of helpful people and great info. What kinds of cheeses do you make so far?

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 03:04:56 AM »
Hi Dee, I see from your profile that you are in state of Illinois in US, welcome from Houston Texas. Lots of great people here from all around the world so different time zones, thus if you post a question sometimes it takes people a little while to respond, especially if they have a day job.

Search tool is your friend, have fun, looking forward to your input!

Cheesetart

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 06:31:55 PM »
I certainly understand the challenge in replying and reading the forums based on the effort required for "the day job".  I'd love to see the day job go away -- and that is my ultimate goal!
I started making cheese on a whim after the corporate world pushed me to the verge of collapse.  I found an interesting article on making cheese at a point where I had no energy or ambition for work -- I had been working 60-70 hours per week with little or no down time.  I gave cheesemaking a try in an attempt to "de-stress" and I have been hooked ever since.
I have made mozzarella, cream cheese, feta, Monterrey jack, and farmhouse cheddar -- I attempted a blue cheese and it got dry and nasty.  I'll get back to the blue at some point.
I'm just now making some marinated feta and I have a batch of cabre al vino just about ready to go into some wine.  I love cheesemaking--- and my husband loves it as well!!  SO much that he has started making wine to go with the cheese we eat!!   It is a great way for me to walk away from the office and focus on something else that really gives me enjoyment!

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:00:01 PM »
Well that's a nice story! Although you don't have lots of time outside of work, I've also found it to be a de-stressor. Cheers to wine & cheese!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:26:28 AM »
Hello Dee and welcome. Cheesemaking certainly can be addictive and a great hobby to relieve stress.

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum Cheesetart!  :D

For the blue , persist. We have just managed to be successful at making one!